cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

packet tracer configure network.

voluohudder
Level 1
Level 1

hi, I have two servers, three switches and two routers. i know how to make the switches and routers communicate with the default gateway, IP address, & subnet masks; although for the servers, what should i implement so they all communicate?

3 Replies 3

vishalbhandari
Spotlight
Spotlight

To ensure communication between your two servers, three switches, and two routers, you should focus on the following configurations:

1. Assign Static IP Addresses

• Ensure that each server has a static IP address within the same network range as the devices it needs to communicate with. For instance:
    • Server 1: 192.168.1.10/24
    • Server 2: 192.168.1.11/24
  • Make sure the default gateway on each server points to the correct router interface (e.g., 192.168.1.1 if that's your router's IP).

2. VLAN Configuration (if applicable)

• If your network is segmented using VLANs, ensure that the servers are placed on the correct VLAN. This is done by:
    • Assigning the VLAN to the switch port where each server is connected.
    • Configuring the switches with appropriate VLANs so that the servers communicate in the correct broadcast domain.
  • Example:
    • Server 1 on VLAN 10
    • Server 2 on VLAN 10
  • Ensure the routers can route traffic between VLANs if you want the servers to communicate with devices on other VLANs.

3. Routing

• On the routers, ensure inter-VLAN routing is enabled if you're using VLANs. This will allow communication between different subnets if your servers are in different VLANs.
  • Implement static or dynamic routing between routers, depending on your network setup, so that devices on different networks/subnets can communicate.

4. DNS Configuration

• Set up DNS entries or configure each server with the proper DNS servers to resolve hostnames. You can either use a local DNS server or external ones like Google DNS (8.8.8.8).

5. Switchport Configuration

• Make sure that the switch ports where the servers are connected are configured correctly (e.g., access ports for servers if they're in one VLAN, trunk ports for inter-switch communication).

6. Firewall Rules

• If you have firewalls in place, ensure that traffic between the servers and other devices is allowed. Review and modify firewall rules to permit the necessary protocols (e.g., ICMP, TCP, etc.).

By implementing the right IP addressing, VLANs, routing, and DNS settings, your servers should be able to communicate with each other and other devices in the network.

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @voluohudder 

The first step is to assign each server a unique IP address and subnet mask that matches the subnet range used by your switches and routers. This involves setting a static IP on the servers or allowing them to obtain one dynamically via DHCP if you've set that up on your network. The subnet mask must be consistent across devices in the same network segment, ensuring that all devices can communicate within the same broadcast domain. You'll also need to configure a default gateway on each server, pointing to the IP address of the router or L3 switch managing traffic between different subnets or network segments. This allows your servers to route traffic to devices outside their local network.

In addition to basic IP configuration, you should verify that your network switches are correctly forwarding traffic between servers, switches, and routers. If the switches are L2-only (which means they don't perform routing), they will forward frames based on MAC addresses and require no additional configuration beyond ensuring that all devices are in the correct VLAN if you're using VLANs for segmentation. If the switches are L3 or support routing, you may need to ensure inter-VLAN routing is enabled if the servers are on different VLANs.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming you do know how to intercommunicate with/between your routers and switches, servers could be configured much like your switches, i.e. a host IP and a default gateway.

The other replies provide more details, and options, but your question makes me wonder how well you truly understand setting up a L2/L3 topology.

I suggest you post your PT file so it can both be reviewed and discussed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card