Replies

Packet tracer ISR-4331 set gig0/0/0 to use sfp instead of copper int

davehouser1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The ISR-4331 has two SFP

interfaces gig0/0/1

you can add an SFP and it works by default.

However

gig0/0/0 

will not work with an SFP by default, the interface is set to use the RJ45 copper port by default. 
How do I switch

gig0/0/0

to use the SFP interface instead?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

davehouser1
Level 1
Level 1

Figured it out. Needed to go into the interface on the 4331, and change the `media-type`. Interface came right up after.

$ conf t
# interface gig0/0/0
# media-type sfp

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

in the attached file, I have configured both

GigabitEthernet0/0/0

ports as media type RJ-45, and connected both ports with a copper cable. The connection works fine. What exactly is not working in your setup, can you post the relevant (zipped) Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file ?

As I said in the previous post, I want

gig0/0/0 

to use the fiber SFP port, not the RJ45 port, but it does not work. I think I need to adjust a setting to tell the router to use the SFP port instead of the rj45 port for

gig0/0/0. 

I want both

gig0/0/0 and gig0/0/1

to use SFP ports not rj45. 

davehouser1
Level 1
Level 1

Figured it out. Needed to go into the interface on the 4331, and change the `media-type`. Interface came right up after.

$ conf t
# interface gig0/0/0
# media-type sfp

I will complement this answer, in tracert package it is mandatory to select whether it is SFP or RJ45, with the "media-type" command in the configuration interface, but in a real ISR 4331, there is an additional command (by default) "auto-select" , and identifies the type of media that has been connected...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card