Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer pings will not go across routers. Dest Host Unreachable

cdescheneaux784
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

In a few weeks my next semester of college will start, which is also course 2 of 3 in the Cisco CCNA Program. I'm currently in Packet Tracer building scenarios for practice and I can't get my routers to send pings across the network. For this scenario I used very basic addresses with no VLSM and only 1 switch and PC per network and only 3 networks total, counting the network between routers. The devices on their respective networks can ping each other fine, but never across the network. If anyone could help that would be much appreciated, I have attached my Packet Tracer files to this post as well.

Conor D.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As @balaji.bandi alluded to you dont have any routing enabled. You need to configure a routing protocol or static routes on both routers to establish connectivity. Without it the routers only know about their local networks.

Try:

conf t

router eigrp 1

network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255

^after adding a routing protocol the pings to workstations were successful.

-David

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i am not a PT users, but this looks like you have routing issue, Trubleshooting tips. try traceroute see where blocking that give you start point to fix the issue.

make sure both the side need routing to reach each other side.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Traceroute on both sides stops at the router's address for the network they are on. I don't know what the issue is.

Since its not cross the router, that mean there is no awareness of the routing here.

Hope by now you have fixed the issue, if not let us know the config of the device to help further

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

As @balaji.bandi alluded to you dont have any routing enabled. You need to configure a routing protocol or static routes on both routers to establish connectivity. Without it the routers only know about their local networks.

Try:

conf t

router eigrp 1

network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255

^after adding a routing protocol the pings to workstations were successful.

-David

cdescheneaux784
Level 1
Level 1

After going through my labs/notes/class work from last semester. It seems we didn't do anything with eigrp configuration. It looks like the PT Labs already had those configured by default. I know we talked about it, but I guess we didn't do any hands-on with it. In my attempts to refresh my knowledge it looks like I overstepped by going into unknown territory. Maybe that will be covered in the 2nd course. I'll definitely keep this thread in mind when we do cover it. Thank you everyone for helping, sorry about this.

Don't apologize for asking for help especially when you're trying to advance your knowledge and understanding. That's what the forum exists for. Glad we could help. I gacve a generic routing process configuration. As you learn about them you will see how to control and manipulate the routing based on the network requirements. Good luck in your studies.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card