Views
Helpful
Replies

PAT issue I need help resolving.

Thomas Phipps
Level 1
Level 1

Hello World,

I have a T1 circuit installed into a 1941 router and from the router I can ping the external DNS 4.2.2.2, but from the internal PC I cannot ping outside, Attached is my config and I hope that someone is able to see something that I am not able to see.

I have a laptop hanging off of GI0/0 with an address of 10.10.10.2 and its gateway of 10.10.10.1, again I can ping from the router to the outside, but not from the PC to the internet.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description $ETH-LAN$$ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-GE 0/0$

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

ip nat inside

ip virtual-reassembly in

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

no mop enabled

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description $ES_LAN$

ip address y.y.y.y  255.255.255.248

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

ip nat inside

ip virtual-reassembly in

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

no mop enabled

!

interface Serial0/0/0:0

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly in

no cdp enable

!

ip forward-protocol nd

!

ip http server

ip http access-class 23

ip http authentication local

ip http secure-server

ip http timeout-policy idle 60 life 86400 requests 10000

!

ip nat inside source list 100 interface Serial0/0/0:0 overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

!

access-list 100 permit ip 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 any

access-list 23 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.7

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

can you make sure you don't have : no ip routing and what about ip classless ?

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see anything wrong with the nat config. Can you ping 10.10.10.1 from the laptop? Is the laptop directly connected to the router or is there a switch in between?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I have not tried that but I will when I get a chance. The laptop is directly connected to the router on port Gi0/0.

Make sure that you're using a crossover cable if you're going to do it that way. Otherwise, if you don't have a xover cable, you'll need a switch in between.

HTH,

John

**** Please rate all useful posts ****

Wow, I cant believe I forgot that, talk about missing something completely, I would bet that is the issue, we have been using straight through cables, and I didnt even thing of that, but that would explain why it wouldnt work. I will try using one of those tonight and let you know if that works.

That did not work, I really dont understand what is going on. I was able to ping 10.10.10.1 from the laptop, and used a crossover cable when making the connection. I also had debug ip nat and debug ip icmp enabled but couldnt see the traffic coming through when trying to ping, I can still ping outside from the router, but nothing when I try from Gi0/0. Any other ideas?

Might this be an issue with the IOS, this router is running 15.3 which I am not used to. Not sure but at this point im really looking for something.

Hi,

Can you provide output of ipconfig as well as route print -4 on the host( ifconfig and netstat -rn if it is linux)

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Can you ping from the router if you source from g0/0? Try "ping 4.2.2.1 source g0/0" and see if you get anything back. If so, then nat is working correctly and it has something to do with your host. Have you also checked to make sure g0/0 is up/up when your cable is connected?

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

can you make sure you don't have : no ip routing and what about ip classless ?

Thanks for the assistance on this issue, I will try everything here and let you know. I did just notice that there was no "ip classless" command in the config, which would explain some things like why I can ping Gi0/0 from the laptop, but cant ping anything else. I will try this later tonight and hopefully can provide some more information.

Hi,

it doesn't appear because it is the default.

Regards.

Alain

Okay that clears that up, I wish there was some magic answer here for this, I will just have to wait and see what the problem could be.

Did you try pinging from the router and sourcing it from g0/0 as per my request above? Did it work?

This is off at a client site, so I dont have access to it at this time, I will hopefully get all this information back tonight and can share here what I hear back. Hopefully I can get a better idea of what is going on with this information.

So the problem was IP routing was turned off, once I turned it on everything worked like a charm thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card