Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Per Session / per User shaping and queuing not working on 7206/7204 on 15.2

Hello,

we are running the following scenario - to provide QoS (shaping/queueing) for our broadband (pppoe) users, we have configured several service-policies on our 7206/7204 BRAS-Routers. The service-policies are applied with RADIUS-Attributes when the pppoe-users dials in. The service-policies look like this

policy-map POL-BM-DEF-P_4m-DSCP-OUT
 description << Parent Policy 4 mbps >>
 class class-default
  shape average 3900000
  bandwidth 3900
   service-policy POL-BM-DEF-C_4m-DSCP-OUT

policy-map POL-BM-DEF-C_4m-DSCP-OUT
 description << Child Policy 4 mbps >>
 class CM-VO-DEF-DSCP
  priority 900
  police cir 900000
   conform-action transmit
   exceed-action drop
 class CM-VS-DEF-DSCP
  bandwidth 100
 class CM-ID-DEF-DSCP
  bandwidth 900
 class CM-MS-DEF-DSCP
  bandwidth 600
 class CM-MC-DEF-DSCP
  bandwidth 300
 class CM-NC-DEF-DSCP
  bandwidth 150
 class CM-NM-DEF-DSCP
  bandwidth 150
 class class-default
  bandwidth 800

We are applying the policies with the following Cisco-AV-Pair attribute

lcp:interface-config=service-policy output POL-BM-DEF-P_4m-DSCP-OUT

Until recently that did work pretty good when using software 12.2(33)SRC3. But it turned out that there is a bug in this software that causes that the policy is applied but not working correct sometimes. See bug CSCsv27825. Although that bug does not match the software we are using, the symptoms do. Basically the parent shaper is not working, so there is no backpressure, no need for qos to kick in ;-)

The recommendation was to upgrade to Version 15.2(4)M5. When downloading the image there was a recommendation on the website to use Version 15.2(4)M6 instead, because of some important bugfixes. So we installed that, system cmes back online, everything works - except the service-policies. they are not applied at all any more.

After doing some tests it turns out that

- Policies that shape are not applied. It does not matter if using the ip:sub-qos-policy-out=xxx or lcp:interface-config=service-policy output xxx attribute.

- Policies that police like the one here are applied

policy-map POL-POLICE-DEF-P_1M-DSCP-OUT
 class class-default
  police 1000000

We prefer the shaping way, because of the smoother handling of bursty traffic.

Any ideas/recommendations ? I've tbeen readign a litte bit on the internet - that problem is not new, but unfortunately no one has a solution :-(

Best regards

Carsten

Short update: as soon as some queuing configuration is present in the policy (parent and/or child) it is not applied. i tried to be extra clever and combine the "policer" parent policy with our child-policy which does priority queuing - not applied. Even the parent-policy alone with no child policy (just the shaper)  is not gettign applied.

Any ideas what to debug to get a reason why it is not working ?

1 Reply 1

MohNeja Rahamto
Level 1
Level 1

@Carsten

Found any solution to this?

This is quite an old post but decided to give it a shot hoping i get some response.

I am having a similar problem. Using 12.4(24)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) on 7204VXR (NPE-G1).

I am trying to apply per-session shaping and queuing on to pppatm session with no success so far.

Any ideas?

My policy config:

policy-map voip-childpolicy
class voip-traffic-class
priority 1000
class class-default
fair-queue

policy-map voip-parentpolicy
class class-default
shape average 5000000
service-policy voip-childpolicy

#More info:

Not working using Radius to apply the policy:

sub-qos-policy-out=voip-parentpolicy

But it seems to work fine when applying the policy directly on the virtual template

service-policy output voip-parentpolicy 

As far as i understood from the logs - the virtual interface is reset immediately after shaping is applied and the whole process starts again in loops 

Feb 15 10:28:27.970: VPDN Received L2TUN socket message <Dataplane UP>
Feb 15 10:28:27.974: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Virtual-Access3, changed state to up

.... (output trimmed) ....

Interface Virtual-Access3: output direction
Event: CLASS_ADD
Class is class-default
Action: Traffic Shaping
Parent hierarchy starting from root to the class getting notified:
Feb 15 10:28:28.018:

Feb 15 10:28:28.018: Vi3 VPDN: Resetting interface
Feb 15 10:28:28.018: VPDN Vi3 disconnect (L2X) IETF: 6/admin-reset Ascend: 64/VPDN Admin Disconnect
Feb 15 10:28:28.018: VPDN Vi3 Unbinding session from idb
Feb 15 10:28:28.018: VPDN uid:42 vpdn shutdown session, result=2, error=6, vendor_err=3, syslog_error_code=22, syslog_key_type=1
Feb 15 10:28:28.022: VPDN uid:42 VPDN/AAA: accounting stop sent

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card