Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Per-Tunnel QoS and sharing of bandwidth between VRF-enabled DMVPN spoke-routers

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is any elegant solution that allows to share the available download bandwidth (hub to spoke) of a spoke site between multiple VRFs on a DMVPN spoke router.

The scenario is as follows:

Each of my spoke routers implements multiple VRFs that should share the available site bandwidth.

In the upload direction this can be easily* achieved by binding the QoS policy to the physical interface towards the provider the DMVPN tunnels are built over.

However, in the other direction, namely hub-to-spoke, it get's more complicated.

If the per-tunnel QoS for DMVPN feature is implemented on a per tunnel basis, I would either have to allocate the overall spoke bandwidth between the different VRFs or potentially oversubscribe by instructing the hub that the available bandwidth of each of the VRF-specific tunnels towards the spoke equals to the whole spoke bandwidth.

It seems that the only possible way to achieve the utilization of the per-tunnel QoS feature so that the spokes bandwidth is shared between multiple VRFs is to build an additional "underlay" DMVPN that acts as the transport for the other VRF-specific DMVPNs.

Simplified illustration:

Provider Transport {

Underlay DMVPN (Transport for VRF-specific DMVPNs) {

VRFa-DMVPN

VRFb-DMVPN

VRFc-DMVPN

}

}

I'm also wondering if IWAN (PfR) would work in such a scenario, i.e. DMVPN (VRF-specific, PfR controlled) over DMVPN (transport).

Any feedback or ideas are highly appreciated :-)

Bfn,

Stephan

*There is also no means of control for spoke-to-spoke traffic not to potentially oversubscribe other spokes with lower access bandwidths.

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct - there is no elegant way to do this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card