Helpful
Replies

Performace on cisco 880

ciscoben2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am struggling with a router throughput and hope someone can help

if i plug a cisco 880 router in to a 100MB WAN Ethernet circuit what throughput will i get? on cisco site it says 25mb/sec but if it is Ethernet shouldn't it be done in hardware and get the full 100mb/sec?

I know that a 1841 plugged in to a 40MB WAN circuit can match that speed but Cisco site say it only can do E1 speed 

many thanks

Ben

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An 880 is rated at 50 Kpps.  For minimum size Ethernet packets, that translates to about 33 Mbps (simplex, i.e. half that for duplex).  Performance capability should improve as packet size increases.

As to hardware, the actual receiving and sending of Ethernet frames is done on hardware, but the forwarding process between interfaces is done on software (on this kind of "software" based router).

PS:

BTW, the 1841 is rated at 75 Kpps.

if i do a speed test on the current router which is a d link wireless home router i get speed of 95mb plus

am i going be downgrading my speed by getting this cisco router?

thanks

Ben

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Not knowing the performance specs for the d-link wireless home router, can't say whether the 880 would be a "downgrade".

Keep in mind, the performance specs I quoted are worst case.  For something like actual traffic like IMIX, would expect much better throughput.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card