Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ping between router and pc

Hello everyone, I am relatively new to networking. I am trying to ping between router and pc

pc 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

router 10.0.0.8 255.0.0.0

GATEWAY 10.0.0.1

I will share screenshots with the configuration.

Thank you in advance

11 Replies 11

Martin L
VIP
VIP

PC should have gateway set to point towards its router. Something tells me that 10.0.0.1 should be IP of a router and PC should have IP of 10.0.0.8 and PC gateway of 10.0.0.1.  Usually 1st or last IP on the network/subnet belongs to router - easier to remember.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Thank you for your reply Martin, I set the router with gateway of 10.0.0.254.

router ip 10.0.0.8

pc 10.0.0.9

pc gateway 10.0.0.254

Still no connectivity,

They are in same subnet, still dont get whre is the problem.

Kind regards, 

pavel

PC gateway IP should be router ip 10.0.0.8, not 10.0.0.254.

is this real gear? if so, you need a crossover Cat 5 cable; not straight thru which could connect PC and router via L2 switch, or via any switch or any hub.

if this is Packet tracer exercise, you can attach your file here in a zip format. if you do not have PT, get it via Net academy for free.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

https://www.netacad.com/courses/packet-tracer/introduction-packet-tracer

During lesson 1 you will have link to download PT for free

you do not need to go thru the whole 10 hrs of this course but I recommend most of it. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this router connecting outside, the Gateway will be towards ISP.

here is a suggestion: (this subnet mask too big for a small network)  

pc 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.0.0.8 (if you retain the same IP for a router)   - but my suggestion is 10.0.0.254 as below

router 10.0.0.254 255.255.255.0

the route towards ISP once we have information,

At this stage PC able to ping router IP 10.0.0.254  and Router able to ping PC IP 10.0.0.1 ( make sure on PC disabled FW if this windows)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your reply Balaji Bandi, I set the router with gateway of 10.0.0.254.

router ip 10.0.0.8

pc 10.0.0.9

pc gateway 10.0.0.254

Still no connectivity,

They are in same subnet, still dont get where is the problem.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As noted by others, your PC's gateway would be host IP that gets a host out of, or off, your local network, normally a router's IP.

Although not required, generally the network's gateway IP is the first or last IP of the network (personally I prefer using the first IP - easier to calculate - just add 1 to network prefix - laugh).

As also noted, by Balaji, although you're using a private class A IP network,  i.e. 10.0.0.0/8, first, classful allocations are pretty much defunct, and second, no one would likely ever use a /8 address block for actual hosts IPs.  I.e. you can use 10.0.0.0/8 for a host containing network, but it's a very poor practice, even if you had 16 million hosts that needed IPs. 

Thank you for your reply Joseph, I set the router with gateway of 10.0.0.254.

router ip 10.0.0.8

pc 10.0.0.9

pc gateway 10.0.0.254

Still no connectivity,

They are in same subnet, still dont get whre is the problem.

Tyson Joachims
Spotlight
Spotlight

1. Cabling - Are you using a crossover cable to connect the router directly to the PC? Most cables sold from the store are not crossover cables unless specifically labeled as such. If you are using a switch in between the PC and the Router, you can use any of these cables off the shelf but if you are directly connecting from the PC to the Router, you need to use a crossover cable.

http://www.cables-solutions.com/difference-between-straight-through-and-crossover-cable.html

2. Router Interface - Is the router interface turned on? If this is a Cisco router, use the interface configuration command:

Router> enable
Router# config t
Router(config)# interface GigabitEthernet0/1 Router(config-if)# no shutdown

3. Host Firewall - If you are trying to ping from the Router to the PC, you likely have a firewall on the PC preventing the ping from working. You can either try pinging the router's IP address from the PC or you can add a firewall rule to the PC allowing ICMP

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/allow-pings-icmp-echo-request-through-your-windows-vista-firewall/

The suggestions about size of the subnet and about gateway are true but are not at all related to the problem posed in the original post. The router and pc are directly connected and in the same subnet. Subnet size and gateway do not matter until you get to the second subnet.

I suspect that there is probably a basic connectivity issue, perhaps a straight through vs cross over cable? A good first step would be to post the output on the router of the command show ip interface brief. If the interface connected to pc is not up/up then this is the problem. If the interface is up/up then post output of the command show arp.

HTH

Rick

Touché!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card