policy based routing pbr issue

skhan
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured the following for PBR

route-map pbr-bang permit 10

match ip address pbr-bang

set interface Tunnel14 Tunnel15

If for some reason Tunnel14 is not available, I would like the traffic to be automatically routed via tunnel15. I shut down tunnel14 and tunnel15 does not pick the traffic up.

Both tunnels get routed via EIGRP to my remote site and that works fine with no PBR, but I want to route particular traffic via T14 and the rest load-balanced.

Any idea appreciated on how to route via tunnel15 if T14 is unavailable. The policy is defined on the fast0/0

3 Replies 3

Hello,

stupid question maybe, but is the tunnel really down/down when you are testing ? The problem with tunnel interfaces often is that tracking the status can be difficult because the interfaces do not go down properly. I think IOS 12.2(8)T has a GRE keepalive option, which version are you running ?

Regards,

GP

Like said above, see if tunnel 15 interface is up and running. Use keep alive option always. Rather than using PBR, you could manipulate routes propagated by EIGRP at the other end of this router , by adjusting delay parameter on the tunnel interfaces and there by route specific traffic via each tunnel interface.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for the replies. I purposely shutdown the tunnel interface for the test.

I am try to achieve is as follows

I have voice, citrix, video conference traffic, ftp, and other bulk traffic

a) Normally for realtime traffic you do not want then out of sequence. I was going to use policy-routing so that voice, video and citrix traffic are always routed via the one tunnel e.g. tunnel14. If i loose connectivity on tunnel14, then I want the traffic routed via tunnel15. Tunnel14 and 15 go via separate ISPs.

Right now I am using delay command so that Tunnel14 is primary and tunnel 15 is secondary. If tunnel14's ISP looses connectivity traffic is automatically routed via tunnel 15 and routes populated by EIGRP

Therefore PBR is only for traffic like citrix, voice and video defined in the access-lists.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card