Views
Helpful
Replies

Port forwarding with RV320 Gigabit Dual WAN VPN Router

jacksonbourne
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there!

I am looking to open port 80 on my router to set up a webserver. I can access the webserver locally (localhost:80), but (of course) cannot access it using my public IP address.

I set up port forwarding like the following:

Setup > Forwarding: Added a new service HTTP[TCP/80~80] to my local (static) IP address and checked the Status box.

I also added a Firewall Access Rule of HTTP[TCP/80~80] on the interface WAN1 (main interface, WAN2 is not being used) with ANY source IP and ANY destination IP.

Firmware Version:v1.5.1.13 (2020-10-27, 13:37:43)

Am I doing something wrong here? I've done something similar with my previous NETGEAR router and it port forwarded correctly with no hassle, so I'm wondering if there's something that I'm missing that could be blocking the connection.

Thanks,

Jack

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you able to access local web server with IP address not localhost:80

as long as you follow below document : (that should work as expected, you can also view logs is the request coming to Router )

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb4159-port-forwarding-and-port-triggering-on-rv320-and-rv325-vpn-r.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the reply!

I am able to access the webserver (192.168.1.133:80) from my machine and from another device connected to the local network using the local IP address.

I have attached screenshots of the configuration in this comment, I hope those help.

I'm not sure how to view network logs, my System Logs are empty (including Network Log). I have also allowed connections through port 80 on my local firewall.

You need to add port-triggering as mentioned in the document :

check goog video to get an idea :

https://video.cisco.com/video/6264484471001

BB

It says I only need Port Triggering if my outgoing port is different than my incoming port. If I'm setting up a webserver on port 80 and I don't think it needs Port Triggering since the port is 80 both incoming and outgoing, no? I might be mistaken here, but I haven't heard anything about using a different port for outgoing traffic.

I've tried adding a new Port Trigger Range of 80-80 that maps to 80-80, but it doesn't seem to change anything (port still closed).

I've attached a screenshot to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks again for the reply!

Jack

that should work as expected - i just like to clarify your statement (before we can suggest something)

I've done something similar with my previous NETGEAR router and it port forwarded correctly with no hassle

have you done this same WAN Link that is not working here, or somewhere else?

BB

Yes it was the same WAN link, I directly replaced my old NETGEAR router with the RV320. However, my ISP also changed and I just called them up and it seems like the problem lies with them.

They use an IPv6 server to assign dynamic IPv4 addresses (internal 100. addresses, which are (I guess) routed to my actual IP when provided with a public IP), and, since mine is a dynamic IP address, they have let me know that they are unsure how to set up port forwarding with it. I have enabled Dual Stack IPv4 + IPv6 on my router (as per the recommendation of my ISP), but they were unable to fix the issue without requiring me to use a static IP address (which is not something that I'm looking to do).

This now seems like a whole different issue, do you think I should create a new post or are you maybe able to suggest a few things I could try? I can ask my ISP any technical back-end questions if you need.

Thanks again,

Jack

ISP also changed and I just called them up and it seems like the problem lies with them.

That is the reason my question asked, most of the time we see the issue from provider side.

DDNS is the solution for the Public IP register, so you can use DDNS name from outside to come in.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card