cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Supply Connected to Catalyst in Case of Power Failure

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

The equipment will be renewed in the event of a total power outage.

At that time, we expect to install a generator or portable power supply to supply electricity.

Specifically, I'm worried about generators and portable power supplies. And I am worried about whether there is output disturbance, and I am not sure whether portable power supply is better.

Basically, I understand that there are no such restrictions on network equipment, but are there any special restrictions or rules on the power supply to be connected?
We would appreciate it if you could inform us.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Long specification meet to give correct out put from generate or alternative and input to device, the device should work as expected.

Make sure you have transit time between Power failover and alternative power to activated before that period, so Switch can hold and work as expected. If not the switch will reboot.

May be i suggest to have UPS for less time and Feed will be provided to UPS to retain the power to switches or any hardware.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

Cost and impact.

How much of an impact will you have when you encounter power blips, short outages, and longer outages?  For the first 2, having a UPS on ONE feed for all equipment might suffice.  Power goes out, and the UPS takes over, based on the load on the UPS.  Rememberl, however, that the load on the UPS will DOUBLE when you lose power, as it will have to cover the FULL load on the attached devices; so when running on normal power the UPS may indicate 30 minutes capacity; but in real world scenario will die in 15 (unless you put a second UPS for the other feed as well).

Longer outages, you either need a generator or alternate supply you can connect to - automatically ??- .  Make sure the UPS is fed from generator, to hold power until the generator is running and stabilized.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card