Views
Helpful
Replies

PPP confusion

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

We have all these types of point-to-point

1- Point-to-Point Access PPP.(Frouzan Book)

2- Point-to-Point Protocol PPP.(Frouzan Book data communication and network)

3- Point-to-Point Link. (William Stalling book data and computer communications)

4- Point-to-Point connection (Frouzan Book)

Point-to-Point connection: Between each pair of devices (a mesh topology). frouzan book

and in another place he said:

((it provides a dedicated link between two devices. The entire capacity of the link is reserved for transmission bewteen those two devices. Most point-to-point connections use an actual length of wire or cable to connect the two ends-----etc)).

My quesry does that mean point-to-point only for dedicated physiacl cable? Does this connection popular?

Again to Frouzan Book chapter 12

((In a network, two device can be connected by a dedicated link or a shared. In the first case, -----we refer to this type of access point-to-point access. In second cases, the link is shared between pairs of devices that need to use the link. We refer to this type of access as multiple access)).

Does that mean point-to-point access is same as point-to-point link and point-to-point connection ?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Your questions can not be answered in a single post.

May I suggest the following URL to widen your knowledge about PPP?

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/PSP/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:PPP

Thanks for that, I will go through, but I am fraid I can not find the difference between all these terminologies, because I have serached through Cisco First Year Companion Guide,and Cisco Second Year Companion Guide, with out any successful. and I really appreciate if you can direct me to any other resources, if you are aware of it.

Thanks

Altough at a fairly low level, reading through the rfc's will give you the best in-depth information about PPP and many other network related stuff.

For myself, I find the following site quite useful.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/

Regards,

Leo

I went through the site, I could not find the differences between these concepts that I mentioned in my early thread.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card