Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Priority vs Weight in GLBP

GLBP is the good method for load-Balancing but I don't know the diffrential of priority and weight. When i test the lab track object down and up, the weight will increase or decrease but Priority don't change. So priority only use to check who's the AVG? The second, i want to change the AVF status from listen to active faster than default (30s), what's the command. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device.

4 Replies 4

Sorry the second I have the answer "Glbp 1 forwarder preempt delay minimum 10"

Posted from my mobile device.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

yes, the router with the highest priority or highest IP address in a GLBP group is elected as the AVG.

the weighting function is used to determine which router becomes the AVF. if the weight falls below the lower threshold, the router give up its AVF role. on the other hand, when the weight rises above the upper threshold, the router resumes its AVF role.

if i understand you correctly, the command you're looking for is as per below:

Router(config-if)#glbp 1 preempt delay minimum

the highest priority router becomes an active AVG, the next by priority becomes a standby AVG.

You may configure AVG preemption, so that a newly configured router with highest priority value becomes AVG, preemption the old one

There are three ways GLBP can be used to load balance ARP replies to clients: round-robin, weighted, and host dependent

http://cisconinja.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/glbp-weights-load-balancing-and-redirection/

HTH

if helpful Rate

jackawang
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry I have the same question as the original poster. But I am still not quite sure about I fully understood the technology.  Someone please help correct me-

1. "Priority" is just used to elect the "AVG". It has nothing to do with AVF operation. Once AVG is elected, it is in charge of AVF operation.

2. When "glbp 1 load-balancing weighted" is NOT configured, "glbp 1 weight xx" is used with "track" to deactivate/activate an AVF in the group. It has no effect to load-balancing. Is my understanding correct?

3. When weight is decreased below the configured threshold, router is removed from active AVF. Can it still be AVG? In other words, is AVF a requirement for being AVG?

4. Once AVG is elected, can we promote other router to become AVG using "tracking"?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card