Views
Helpful
Replies

problem on 3650 switch-Insufficient Power for POE

AboudMokh
Level 1
Level 1

I get this error on a 3650 switch

Insufficient Power for POE/UPOE device. Replace with compatible FEP and Power-Cycle the Switch

Any Idea what causes this ? Is this a hardware problem or what exactly ?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the output to the command "sh power inline".  

Error message could possibly mean that there's not enough PoE available.

Thanks for rating my post a "2" star Aboud.  My assistance to your issue does NOT deserve the low rating given the very limited information you've provided.  

Sorry for being late, but the problem was on the power and it was replaced. anyway thanks for your concern and help.

Paul Marsh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have one Power supply in my switch.  The boot process only goes so far before it enters an endless repetition of this message.  The LEDs are green except for the SYST which is blinking (system running POST).    Nothing seems to change this state.   Any thoughts on the problem?   (Here's a snip of the boot sequence.)

All packages are Digitally Signed

Starting System Services

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=4,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0

FIPS(NGWC): Flash Key Check : Begin

FIPS(NGWC): Flash Key Check : End, Not Found, FIPS Mode Not Enabled

Insufficient Power for POE/UPOE device. Replace with compatible FEP and Power-Cycle the Switch ... 

It is probably same as my problem which is power supply problem. once it is replaced switch worked great for me. 

admphaym1
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm that i had the same error message after i installed a fresh IOS on a 3650. 
I tied a new PSU in the switch throwing the error and it worked fine.
As another test i tried to use the suspected to be faulty PSU in another 3650 and it threw the same error.

tim.smith
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same problem, but I can't get to a command line.  I have replaced the PSUs (I have two) with known good PSUs, and I still get the same results.  The red LED is on for "PS OK" and the switch boots up to this point then repeats the message continuously...

========================================================================================
Bundle Image
--------------------------------------
Kernel Address : 0x53432388
Kernel Size : 0x34e9ec/3467756
Initramfs Address : 0x53780d74
Initramfs Size : 0x119e33d/18473789
Compression Format: mzip

Bootable image at @ ram:0x53432388
Bootable image segment 0 address range [0x81100000, 0x81b8adc0] is in range [0x80180000, 0x90000000].
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@boot_system: 377
Loading Linux kernel with entry point 0x816903a0 ...
Bootloader: Done loading app on core_mask: 0xf

### Launching Linux Kernel (flags = 0x5)

Insufficient Power for POE/UPOE device. Replace with compatible FEP and Power-Cycle the Switch ...

========================================================================================

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card