Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with a static route

hi all,

I have some problem with my static route. I have intalled static route as follows.(Attached)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gi 0/0

But after some DSU change I encounterd a problem. Traffic not route outside from my Router.

After that I changed the route as follows

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.2

What might be the issue causing this problem ? your responses are highly.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

it is not recommended to point a static route to a broadcast interface, have a look at this document:

Specifying a Next Hop IP Address for Static Routes

HTH

Rolf

Hello

When you point a static route to an interface its saying to the router that route ( in you case everything not already in its rib) is directly connected, which isnt the case so then the router would need to arp request for each destination it needs to get to either its a valid router or not and in most cases could result in unwarranted broadcasts, large arp cache table and unitizing memory consumption resources  on your router, it doesn't really need to do.

Also on the interface you specify usually proxy arp is enabled which will proxy any request it obtains on behalf of you router however sometimes this could be turned off which would result in the destination being unavailable.

It best to specify a next hop address and with the interface, then the  router no longer thinks all destinations are directly connected so this way the router will only produce one arp request for its next hop address instead and limits table lookups for an exit interface.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gig0/0 1.1.1.2

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card