Views
Helpful
Replies

Purpose of IP VRF Command

m_ashok89
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

what is the purpose are using " IP VRF Forwarding " command, very confused to know about this command, whether it is necessary to use in core switch like supervisor engine 4500 series.please say the correct answer. FYI here i enclosed the running config which they are using that command.

!
!
ip vrf mgmtVrf
!
!
!

Regards,

Ashok.M 

5 Replies 5

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

See here for the explaination of Fa1 and the mgmtVrf on the 4500 switch:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/50sg/configuration/guide/Wrapper-46SG/sw_int.html#wp1138747

Effectively its just a physical out of band management port.

Some people use it, others don't.

I find the question a bit confusing. In the text of the question he seems to be asking about ip vrf forwarding but in the example he shows ip vrf mgmtVrf.

The response from devils advocate addresses the use in the example. In that case it would create one routing table associated with the management interface which does create what amounts to an out of band connection for management. If the question is really about ip vrf forwarding then that would create another vrf and its associated routing table which would be separate from the global routing table.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I wonder if he is referring to the fact that Fa1 is part of the mgmtVrf VRF as below:

interface FastEthernet1
 ip vrf forwarding mgmtVrf

Thank u sir,  

still having little bit confuse, Could u please give with an example?

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you put that in context, or do you want a spiel on what VRF's do?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card