cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QDD-400G-ZR-S

aorelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I am looking at these QDDs and I was wondering If these are limited to CISCO host or if they are compatible with any CMIS-complaint router. Same question I have for the Acacia/CISCO DP04QSDD-E20-190. TIA 

3 Replies 3

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

The Cisco 400G QSFP-DD coherent optics data sheet claims multi-vendor interoperability:

"Extensive system-level testing and unmatched technical expertise enable Cisco optics to be successfully used across Cisco as well as multivendor platforms."

AFAIK, DP04QSDD-E20-190 is the internal Cisco-Acacia part number for the generic Cisco part number QDD-400G-ZRP-S, which is covered by the above data sheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/24xx/interfaces/configuration/guide/b-interfaces-hardware-component-cg-asr9000-24xx/configuring-400G-digital-coherent-optics.html?dtid=osscdc000283#Cisco_Concept.dita_c221463f-dc7e-49cb-9...

Transceiver Vendor Details

Form Factor            : QSFP-DD
         Optics type            : QSFP-DD 400G-ZRP-S 
         Name                   : CISCO-ACACIA
         OUI Number             : 7c.b2.5c
         Part Number            : DP04QSDD-E30-19E
         Rev Number             : 01
         Serial Number          : ACA2503003X
         PID                    : QDD-400G-ZRP-S 
         VID                    : ES03
         Firmware Version       : 61.20 (Build : 13)  
         Date Code(yy/mm/dd)    : 21/01/22

The caveat here is that Cisco will not likely have tested these parts in your non-Cisco router with your NOS version. Cisco wants to be a 3rd-party optics vendor and provides TAC support to customers who buy Cisco optics for insertion into non-Cisco gear. TAC will troubleshoot with you and engage the Cisco TMG (Transceiver Module Group) to determine root-cause if there is an interop issue. The TMG engineers are quite sharp and experienced with interoperability.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

So are these DP04QSDD-E20-190 equivalent to the QDD-400G-ZRP-S but only difference is the range? So I could expect either one to work with other none cisco routers like Junipers PTXs?

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

I would not expect the complexity of a configurable (DAC rate, FEC, frequency, chromatic dispersion, transmit power) 400G coherent optic to be plug & play in a host platform in which it has not been tested before. I would expect that TAC will troubleshoot with you to arrive at root cause if there is an issue.

I would also recommend that you engage in a qualification process before committing to any large purchase. Check with your Cisco account team (or Cisco-authorized reseller team) to:

1. Confirm that QDD-400G-ZR-S/QDD-400G-ZRP-S will be supported by TAC & TMG  in 3rd-party platforms as implied in the data sheet
  2. That there is a "Try & Buy" or "Demo Depot" program in your locale that allows you to test the optics before making a purchase.

Once you have the demo samples of the optics in-hand, thoroughly test them in your target platforms and open a Cisco TAC case if there are issues. If there are issues, Cisco's root cause analysis may indicate that changes are required to JUNOS. If that turns out to be the case, you would have to work with Juniper to get them to agree with the RCA and for them to commit the required changes into JUNOS.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card