cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Configuration on ASR920

aljoush12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello expert, I am new to QoS configuration on the ASR920. I have created the policy map below. The goal is to prioritize the Class PLATINUM during congestion. If Class PLATINUM requires more bandwidth than allocated, it should be able to receive additional bandwidth from other queues during periods of non-congestion. I would appreciate your feedback on this configuration.

policy-map Network_EGRESS_Policy 

class PLATINUM 

bandwidth percent 30 

shape average percent 100 

class GOLD 

bandwidth percent 25 

class SILVER 

bandwidth percent 20 

class COPPER 

bandwidth percent 10 

class BRONZE 

bandwidth percent 10 

class Network_Control 

bandwidth percent 5 

class class-default 

fair-queue

Thank you

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You probably don't need any of your shaper statements and you didn't provide class-default an bandwidth allocation.

Your Platinum class has the largest allocated bandwidth percentage, but that not the same as prioritzation over other classes.  For prioritization, you need to make it a LLQ class, with the priority statement.

Hi Joseph, 

Thank you for the quick response. I initially configured "Priority" for the class PLATINUM, but I observed that it drops packets when traffic exceeds 30% of the line rate, even when other queues are not being utilized. After applying a shaper, it no longer drops any packets. I found examples where the default class is configured with fair-queue without allocating bandwidth. Is it recommended to allocate bandwidth for the default class?

When you use the class priority statement the bandwidth setting sets an implicit police.  So, traffic in excess should be dropped.

Yes, class-default should have a bandwidth allocation, even with FQ.  Possibly the configuration examples were pre-HQF.

Hi Joseph, 

Thank you for your reply. I will use the priority statement without bandwidth allocation for class PLATINUM and test it out. Could you please tell me what the recommended bandwidth allocation is for class-default?

@aljoush12 wrote:

Could you please tell me what the recommended bandwidth allocation is for class-default?

Totally depends on your QoS needs/goals; just like other classes.

Hi Joseph, 

I tried configuring priority without bandwidth allocation for class PLATINUM and bandwidth allocation for the remaining classes but I received an error below. it looks like it is not supported on ASR920. 

(config)#policy-map Network_EGRESS_Policy

(config-pmap)#class PLATINUM

(config-pmap-c)#priority 

(config-pmap-c)#exit

(config-pmap)#class GOLD

(config-pmap-c)#bandwidth percent 20

Bandwidth kbps or percent command cannot co-exist with strict priority or priority level in the same policy-map

(config-pmap-c)#

So, I have also tested MPQ. It behaves like LLQ. Any feedback on the policy below is appreciated. 

class PLATINUM

priority level 2

class GOLD

priority level 3

class SILVER

priority level 4

class COPPER

priority level 5

class BRONZE

priority level 6

class Network_Control

priority level 1

class class-default

random-detect

@aljoush12 wrote:

I tried configuring priority without bandwidth allocation for class PLATINUM and bandwidth allocation for the remaining classes but I received an error below. it looks like it is not supported on ASR920. 

(config)#policy-map Network_EGRESS_Policy

(config-pmap)#class PLATINUM

(config-pmap-c)#priority 

(config-pmap-c)#exit

(config-pmap)#class GOLD

(config-pmap-c)#bandwidth percent 20

Bandwidth kbps or percent command cannot co-exist with strict priority or priority level in the same policy-map

That's correct.  Priority and bandwidth are mutually exclusive, but priority statement should also have a parameter for bandwidth allowance/restriction:

nserthostname-here(config-pmap-c)#priority ?
  <1-2000000>  Kilo Bits per second
  level        Multi-Level Priority Queue
  percent      % of total bandwidth
  <cr>         <cr>

@aljoush12 wrote:

So, I have also tested MPQ. It behaves like LLQ. Any feedback on the policy below is appreciated. 

class PLATINUM

priority level 2

class GOLD

priority level 3

class SILVER

priority level 4

class COPPER

priority level 5

class BRONZE

priority level 6

class Network_Control

priority level 1

class class-default

random-detect

The above is interesting, as I didn't know any platform supported more than levels 1 and 2, which is a relative recent addition, itself, to LLQ.  My CML IOSv only shows 2 levels.

However, did find MPQ documented, and it just appears to be an extension of 2 levels up to 7 levels.

Way, way back, I've even used the original PQ (before CBWFQ), which had, and only had, 4 levels.

With it, you had the risk of, as Cisco describes for MPQ:  "If high-priority traffic is not policed appropriately, bandwidth starvation of low-priority traffic can occur."

To avoid that issue, Cisco further says: "Therefore, though not required, we recommend that you configure a policer for high-priority traffic using the police command. If you configure the police command for priority queues, the traffic rate is policed to the police rate for each of the priority queues."

You couldn't do that with original PQ, and although it should avoid total starvation it's strictly hierarchical dequeuing would likely provide very variable performance for the lower priority queue classes.  I would NOT recommend it for a generic policy, like your posted example.

Oh, I see you've now also added RED to class-default.  I generally recommend RED only be used by QoS experts.  (Getting it to work optimally, if much more complex than the introductory explanation documentation makes it out to be.

BTW, on a router, the following policy-map can probably effectively handle 99% (NB: might require some "tweaking", like queue depths) of all QoS needs:

policy-map Sample
 class real-time !e.g. VoIP bearer
  priority percent 35
 class hi-priority !e.g. VoIP control, network-control
  bandwidth remaining percent 81
  fair-queue
 class lo-priority !e.g. data backups, server-to-server mail
  bandwidth remaining percent 1
  fair-queue
 class class-default !everything except which really, really needs a different class (above)
  bandwidth remaining percent 9
  fair-queue

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card