Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS in frame relay networks

student100
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I'm designing a simple QoS policy for two routers connected to eachother through a frame relay network. Since I have voice, the policy only have LLQ and CB Traffic shaping as shown below. The question is: Besides policin, do frame relay networks support any kind of QoS? If so, must the service provider apply the same QoS policies i applied in my end routers (LLQ, etc)?

class-map match-any QoS-Voice

match  dscp ef

class-map match-any QoS-Sig

match  dscp cs3  af31

class-map match-any QoS-DataBase

match protocol sqlnet

match protocol sqlserver

!this policy map is nested with Shaping-768 policy map

policy-map QoS-Queuing

class QoS-Voice

priority 300

class QoS-Sig

bandwidth 8

class QoS-DataBase

bandwidth 40

class class-default

fair-queue

random-detect

policy-map Shaping-768

class class-default

shape average 768000 7680

service-policy QoS-Queuing

interface Serial0/0.50 point-to-point

bandwidth 768

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

frame-relay interface-dlci 50 CISCO

frame-relay ip tcp header-compression

frame-relay ip rtp header-compression

service-policy output Shaping-768

Thanks in advance.

David.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this  posting offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Don't believe frame-relay vendors offer any QoS beyond whether a frame is marked in or out of contract (DE bit).

If you have different link bandwidth between two sites (i.e. the bandwidth to the FR cloud), you'll want to shape the higher to match lower.

Much depends on actual FR vendor's capacity, but when working with voice, you may want to shape to CIR and/or implement adaptive shaping.  (The latter might be too slow to respond to preserve VoIP quality.)

When working with VoIP, you also may want to stay away from the compression options.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this  posting offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Don't believe frame-relay vendors offer any QoS beyond whether a frame is marked in or out of contract (DE bit).

If you have different link bandwidth between two sites (i.e. the bandwidth to the FR cloud), you'll want to shape the higher to match lower.

Much depends on actual FR vendor's capacity, but when working with voice, you may want to shape to CIR and/or implement adaptive shaping.  (The latter might be too slow to respond to preserve VoIP quality.)

When working with VoIP, you also may want to stay away from the compression options.

David,

With Frame Relay, its the simple DE bit. The FR switches dont sort of mark/re-mark your QoS markings. They either drop or pass the frames.

In regards to the QoS policies, you need to work with the SP to match your policies. They provide different flavors of polices and you need to speak to them to suit your requirements.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card