Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on ATM VC

sbrozius
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I want to implement QoS on my DSL-routers, with both an ingress and egress-policy.

I want to be able to give a minimum bandwidth to certain protocols and still have the possibility to have those protocols use up to full bandwidth if available.

My DSL-line is a 512/512 connection (ADSL).

Protocols that should have high guarenteed bandwitdh are RDP, Citrix, Telnet and SSH.

Protocols that should have lower prioroty/require less bandwith are HTTP(S), FTP, SMTP

Also EIGRP, RADIUS, SNMP, DNS, SysLog, LDAP and Kerberos should have a minimum guaranteed bandwidth.

Rest of the traffic should be best-effort.

I've got a policy set-up as an output-policy on my PVC, but since it uses CBWFQ it can't be used as an ingress-policy.

Can any of you help me out with this?

5 Replies 5

cisco_trouble
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Check at this link, might be what you looking for. http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/pppoe_qos_dsl.html

hope that helps

This solution won't work. The method described here is CBWFQ.

Also, you helped me remember that I forgot to mention that the PVC is configured in an ATM subinterface:

atm 0.35 point-to-point

ip address 172.19.1.1 255.255.255.252

pvc 0/35

cbr 512

oam-pvc manage 3

encapsulation aal5mux ip

Hi,

Why do you want to configure this as an ingress policy ? What you described in your original post requires an egress policy, not an ingress one..

Paresh

The QoS-policy will be set on a router in a branch-office. The servers are in our central office.

The routers connect to a central router of our provider, and are bundled together in a E1-connection to our main router. Therefore, configuration on the main router per branch-office is very difficult and that's why I want to use an ingress-policy.

Hi,

An ingess policy that polices traffic will get you what you want in terms of limiting the traffic to the remote hosts. However, you need to consider if that is wise. What you are doing is carrying all this traffic across potentially expensive WAN links only to drop it at the destination. Does that really help you ? I really don't think so.. Say you had just the one E1 and at one point in time, it had 1900 kbps of HTTP traffic and 50 kbps of Citrix. Now, if you had an ingress policer at the more site which drop half of the HTTP traffic, your Citrix won't suddenly increase, since that is being controlled at egress.

So you really do need to apply this policy outbound at your host site.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card