Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on Cisco 851W router

marh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have do some QoS on a Cisco 851W router with IOS Version 12.4(15)T12.

The problem is that QoS is very limited on this router (no class-map, policy-map).

My goal is to get priority (or let say 1Mbps bandwith reservation) on a traffic on LAN destined to specific public IP address (for example 1.2.3.4). That is all. I just can't find apropriate commands.

Can anyone help me with some examples?

Regards,

AM

5 Replies 5

Jose Jara
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

according to the data sheet of this model, it only supports:

• Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ)
• Policy-based routing (PBR)
• Per-VC queuing
• Per-VC traffic shaping

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

Anyway, why would you want to prioritize on LAN this traffic ? I suppose that this would be on WAN towards an specific public address. If that´s the case and you could do it, you would only do in the upstream flow unless the provider configures also this feature.

Only thing I can imagine in order to get something similar as a LLQ, would be to configure the legacy Priority Queue (PQ). However, you can not specify the bandwidth. For this you could do policing dropping the excess with CAR. But I am not sure if it´s supported in this platform.

Hope this helps,

Jose.

Yes, I meant on WAN towards an specific public address. I know, it supports only:

• Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ)
• Policy-based routing (PBR)
• Per-VC queuing
• Per-VC traffic shaping

I would be satisfied with Priority Queue. But I don't know how to put it together with supported commands on that router.

AM

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What feature set is installed now?

Would it be possible to move to a different feature set?

Advance security: flash:c850-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T12.bin

I think it would be possible. But the problem could be:

128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
20480K bytes of processor board System flash

Regards,

AM

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ah!  I've encountered 871s that don't support full QoS features with the advanced security feature set.  This might be your issue too.

IPServices feature set, will provide QoS, but don't know what features might be lost and how that might, or might not, impact your usage of your 851.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card