Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on cisco for limiting Youtube traffic

khalas1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

We have a websense proxy. Till date youtube is blocked on the proxy. Now there is a requirement to allow youtube. Here is the question.

The websense would send the traffic to the internet firewall which will send the traffic to the internet router. I am thinking of using QoS on the lan interface of the internet router.

sample test config is as follows:

class-map match-all youtube

match protocol http host "*youtube.com*"

!

!

policy-map Limit-Youtube

description To Limit YOUTUBE traffic

class youtube

priority 5000

police cir 5000000

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

!

The objectives:

1. to provide the users a decent youtube experience.----I have used priority to give this class a certain amount of guaranteed BW.

2. To limit the max BW that this class can use. -----------------I have used police command.

Query:

1. Will it work if i apply this on the lan interface connecting to the FW?

2. What direction do i need to apply it. I need to restrict the traffic received from the proxy ------to -----youtube------reply traffic--------proxy.

Your help appreciated on this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unsure you'll be able to both control Youtube bandwidth consumption while providing a decent experience.  This because, unsure Youtube will automatically decrease its bandwidth demand in face of packet drops.  If it doesn't, very lilkey once you exceed bandwidth cap for all concurrent Youtube flows, they will all degrade.  That aside, policing inbound Youtube traffic could be an effective method to limit its bandwidth consumption.

Youtube, I believe, is a video streaming application, and if such, shouldn't really need LLQ.

If you want to control its bandwidth, you can police anywhere along the ingress path.  Sooner is often better as it avoids the need for downstream devices to forward packets you'll be dropping anyway.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unsure you'll be able to both control Youtube bandwidth consumption while providing a decent experience.  This because, unsure Youtube will automatically decrease its bandwidth demand in face of packet drops.  If it doesn't, very lilkey once you exceed bandwidth cap for all concurrent Youtube flows, they will all degrade.  That aside, policing inbound Youtube traffic could be an effective method to limit its bandwidth consumption.

Youtube, I believe, is a video streaming application, and if such, shouldn't really need LLQ.

If you want to control its bandwidth, you can police anywhere along the ingress path.  Sooner is often better as it avoids the need for downstream devices to forward packets you'll be dropping anyway.

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

As Joseph indicated, you need to apply this inbound on the external interface of the Internet router.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card