Helpful
Replies

QoS on WAN router LAN inf

Bob Greer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

Thanks for reading.

I have a router which is saturating the MPLS circuit attached to it.  The provider is (naturally) policing us down to SLA.  The site is a possibly an 8-Class model but probably a 4-Class model.  I want to apply artificial backpressure and queue by business-critical AF31 markings.  Is there a nice, neat name for this?

Thanks!

Bob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Perhaps what you seek is a hierarchal CBWFQ policy, where the parent policy contains a default class shaper, and the child policy priorities as you desire. The latter could be a 4 or 8 class, or other number of classes, policy.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello Bob,

what are you looking for ? A configuration example for 8 or 4-Class WAN Edge DiffServ models ?

Please clarify...

Hi Greg,

Thanks for writing.

I'm looking to classify/mark, police/markdown and schedule.  I only have 2 or 3 business critical apps and phones.  I want to mark them AF31 and limit the entire stream going exiting the router to stop overflowing our WAN circuit which is currently dropping packets because we're surpassing our limits.

We're going to offload the COS prioritizing from the ISP onto our own hardware.

Thanks again for writing,

Bob

QoS features can vary much per platform, and can also vary by IOS version and/or feature set (and even sometimes by specific interface type).

For suggested QoS, you'll need to fully identify your platform and the interface.

Hi Joseph,

We have an ISR 4331 running 03.16.03.S with Gig interfaces connecting to WAN and LAN.

Thanks,

Bob

Ok, in that case your device supports most QoS features.

Again, what you might want is policies like:

policy-map sampleParent
class class-default
shape average (cir)
service-policy sampleChild

policy-map sampleChild
class real-time
priory percent 33
class critical
bandwidth remaining percent 66
fair-queue
class class-default
bandwidth remaining percent 33
fair-queue

interface gige #
service-policy output sampleParent

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Perhaps what you seek is a hierarchal CBWFQ policy, where the parent policy contains a default class shaper, and the child policy priorities as you desire. The latter could be a 4 or 8 class, or other number of classes, policy.

Bob Greer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the guidance.  This aligns with what i've been seeing in the Branch Router QoS guidelines: HQoS with Parent-child.  I was looking for a confirmation that, with the info available to you, it appeared I was on the right path.

Thanks again!

Bob

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card