cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS - Policing - Policy-map with multiple ClassMaps = CIR?

_|brt.drml|_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm reading me in about QoS. Also undertanding my company settings

So far so good. 

I understood from theory that Policing can remark traffic. I understand that, but how will it behave? 

eg:

line Speed: 1G
CIR: 5Mbps

Bc = Tc*CIR = 0.125 * 5 000 000 = 625 000
Be = 625000 => no change (we are ISP!) (No Burst traffic allowed -> maybe calculate Bc 10% less then CIR?)

config in configuration book of cisco :police [cir] bps [Bc] burst-normal [Be]
burst-excess [conform-action action]
[exceed-action action] [violate-action action]
Cisco Example:

Router(config-pmap-c)# police [4000000] [2000] [5000] conform-action transmit exceed-action set-dscp-transmit 5

On lab Router:

Idea: 5Mbps is my line speed. I would like to have a PRIORITY class that is policed and remarks the 'dropped' to a lower class. 

The line speed is fixed, no burst allowed. 

I guess the correct config line will be:

LAB router: => police 5000000 625000 625000 conform-action transmit exceed-action set-qos-transmit 0 violate-action drop

What will the set-qos-transmit do? 

It will go to qos group 0 => will it accept and prioritize in that group above all other 'default' traffic? Or will it just fill up the queue. 

Is my understanding of the Bc and Be correct? 

The PRIO class has a remaining % configured => is that my max line speed? 

I hope this is understandable. 

Thank you in advance.

Bart 

15 Replies 15

Sorry, I don't understand your "only question".  Could you rephrase it?

BTW, although I've shown how you can shift some packets from one flow into different queues, including cascading that action, again, generally that's not a good thing to do (I've done that [no cascading], but in a very limited and special case).  Also again, when you remark just some packets of a flow, it's generally to increase those packets chance of being dropped.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card