Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS query - Bandwidth remaining percent

vvvvvbbb123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I am confused with the "bandwidth remaining percent" concept of cisco.
consider the bandwidth of 300 M and below is the queing policy configured.
policy-map Queue
 class class-default
  shape average 300000000
  service-policy OUT

policy-map OUT
 class EF
  priority 4096
 class MGMT
  bandwidth remaining percent 1 
 class BUSINESS
  bandwidth remaining percent 97 
  shape average 290000000
  service-policy APP
 class default-out
  bandwidth remaining percent 1 
  shape average  150000000

policy-map APP
 class AF4X
  bandwidth remaining percent 9
  queue-limit 8694 packets
 class AF3X
  bandwidth remaining percent 14
  queue-limit 11184 packets
 class AF2X
  bandwidth remaining percent 3
  queue-limit 4098 packets
 class Rest
  bandwidth remaining percent 71
  random-detect dscp-based
  random-detect exponential-weighting-constant 10
  random-detect dscp 10 12500 37500 1
  random-detect dscp 12 7500 25000 1
  queue-limit 37500 packets

Now my question is what would be the actual value for Class AF4X would it be 
A > 25832 (this value is arrived by 300000 -Priority value and considering this to be 100% value for remaining BW calulation) or 
B> 26631 (this value is arrived by 300000 - Priority = resultant value 97% and this value is considered to be 100% for subclass ie BUSINESS_C calculation).

Bare my English mistakes

Regards,

VB

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

(Have you been able to apply this config to an interface?)

I think what should happen is class AF4X should obtain a minimum of 9% of 290000000 (because I believe it uses the parent's class shaper as its reference bandwidth - oh, and 9% because all your APP classes use bandwidth remaining [they also didn't allocate 100%, so the AF4X class should get even more than 9% even if all other classes want more than their minimums]).

Yes, this is a working configuration. As i was told to provide the values in Kb, i was bit confused.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Provide bandwidth it Kb?  Hmm, just a different (and original) way of providing bandwidth settings for classes.  I.e. how the policy will behave, doesn't change, but makes it more difficult to maintain the policy across multiple interfaces.

yes Joseph... i understand it is difficualt, but my client wants that way.. So i am assigned to change from percentage actual values....

Also do you have any document which says that shaper value will be taken as reference for calculating sub policy map values ?

It might be in one of the following.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/7200-series-routers/110850-queue-limit-output-drops-ios.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/15_1/qos_15_1_book/qos_frhqf_support.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/12spctsg.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card