Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Setting Verification

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Please help!  We continue to have issues with Verizon’s MPLS QoS configuration and I need suggesitons on how to isolate this more quickly and effectively.

Typically our circuit order asks 33% of bandwidth for EF queue to be provisioned.  During circuit activation, Verizon sets up plug-in and play so we just ship out a pre-configured router to the site and all the services are pre-configured by Verizon.  BGP routing, multicast or VRF configuration can all be independently verified by us.  However, I don’t know how to independently verified Verizon’s QoS configuration during our circuit activation. 

There were several incidents that really affect our real time traffic.  One incident involved VTC traffic.  This site's VTC traffic was marked for EF and Verizon configured 6K for the EF queue.  Of course we found that out after 2 weeks of intensive troubleshooting to rule out any internal issue.  There was another incident happened this week.  We turned up a MPLS circuit for a site but all the IP PBX service at this site stopped working.  Again, Verizon didn’t provision the queues correctly and that’s after 2 days of troubleshooting and without phone service. 

Is there any IOS tool or external tool that you know about to verify QoS configuration on the PE routers?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I often used a free (PC) utility PCATTCP, generating UDP traffic at defined rate.  Unfortunately, it doesn't support setting ToS markings, so if I needed to mark the packets, I would first past the traffic through a device that could remark ToS based on an ACL.

Many other products and packages out there.  The important thing, is having a way to verify the providers provisioning.

PS:

Oh, and I too encountered this issue with your provider and others.  Besides verification of bandwidth over MPLS, also useful for other cloud technologies such as FR and ATM.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What I've done in the past, is use a traffic generator to saturate the bottleneck of the path such that all classes will individually congest the bottleneck and then measure the amount of traffic received in each class.  Basically send 110% for each class and see if the right proportions come out the other side.

ah, I see.  What traffic generator did you use for that?  Thanks. 

extendend ping with different Type of service [0]: ?

how to do it ?

how to do extendend ping with IP Precedence 1, 3 and 5

i found

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/251014

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I often used a free (PC) utility PCATTCP, generating UDP traffic at defined rate.  Unfortunately, it doesn't support setting ToS markings, so if I needed to mark the packets, I would first past the traffic through a device that could remark ToS based on an ACL.

Many other products and packages out there.  The important thing, is having a way to verify the providers provisioning.

PS:

Oh, and I too encountered this issue with your provider and others.  Besides verification of bandwidth over MPLS, also useful for other cloud technologies such as FR and ATM.

Thanks Joseph for your experience and feedback.  I did a little search on traffic generator and apparently google has one that can modify DSCP marking.  I will give that a try.  Thanks again.

http://wiki.ostinato.googlecode.com/hg/screenshots/scdProtoData.png

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card