cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Shaping on Catalyst 6506 IOS15, Supv 2T, PFC4

dmethodmn
Level 1
Level 1

We have a requirement to shape down to 10 Mbps from our service provider.

I am trying to apply shaping within a QoS policy on Cat 6506 (our edge device).  I already created the class-map, policy-map and applied the service-policy to the interfaces.  When I try to add shaping at the policy-map I get the following error:

(config-pmap-c)#shape ave 10000000

shape average command is not supported for this interface

Configuration failed!

I have the following HW/SW

• IOS version 15 (Version 15.0(1)SY3)
  • Supervisor 2T (VS-SUP2T-10G)
  • PFC4 (VS-F6K-PFC4 Policy Feature Card 4 Rev. 2.0)
  • WS-X6848-GE-TX (CEF720 48 port 1000mb SFP Rev. 3.0)

Research i've already come across, that has not helped and the reason it did not help

Q. Is traffic shaping supported on the Catalyst 6500 (Cat6K) Switch?

A. Traffic shaping is only supported on certain WAN modules for the Catalyst 6500/7600 Series, such as the Optical Services Modules (OSMs) and FlexWAN modules.

3 Replies 3

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As the Q&A mentioned, I don't think class based shaping is ever supported on LAN modules of 6500 platform. Some LAN module support SRR, so you can shape the interface down to certain level, but it is interface level not policy based.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I understand what the Q+A is saying, but it was last updated in 7 years ago.  I'm sure PFC4 was not released 7 years ago and my understanding of the Supv 2T/PFC4 whitepaper is that it was possible with the new hardware.

You mentioned "shape at the interface level", how do I do that?  I do not see any commands for that.  I see bandwidth, flow-contol, throttle, and load-balance.  I do not see shape.

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

SRR is not supported on 6848.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15.0SY/configuration/guide/qos_policy_based_queueing.html#wp1005997

HTH,
Lei Tian
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card