cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Strategy

Vinayaka Raman
Level 1
Level 1

There are some users abusing bandwidth using p2p via http.

I wanted to make sure one host is not consuming the guaranteed bw until i identify and add them into  abuse list

Is there a way we can control the queue? i.e, 1 queue cannot be greedy and take all the bandwidth. I am referring to HTTP_ALL_CLIENTS. Within this class i wanted to restrict 1 host taking the traffic greedy.

policy-map XXX-QOS
class voice
police cir 1024000
conform-action transmit
exceed-action set-dscp-transmit default
class video
 priority 1024
class Dedicated_BW_client_1
 Priority X
class GRE-TRAFFIC
 priority 3mbps
class HTTTP_ALL_CLIENTS
 bandwidth remaining percent 90
class ABUSE
bandwidth remaining percent 5
Regards Vinayak
3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You can shape or police the queue, but that would limit the aggregate for the whole class, when you really want to limit an abusing user.

On the 6500, you could implement a microflow policer, but from your policy-map, I'm would suspect yours is not a 6500.

What you might do, if running an IOS that supports HQF QoS, enable fair-queue for your HTTP class.  It won't limit the bandwidth abuser, but at least it will minimize the impact of such an abuser to other users.

Martin Hruby
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Vinayaka

I would recommend you setup a fair-queue configuration in your HTTP_ALL_CLIENTS class. That way all HTTP users will share the bandwidth fairly and no one user will be able to consume all the traffic. Fair-queuing ensures that high-volume flows don't starve low-volume flows. For example:

policy-map XXX-QOS
  class HTTTP_ALL_CLIENTS
   fair-queue

For more information see: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_book/qos_d1.html#wp1019248

Best regards,
Martin

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What Martin has posted, is "how" to do what I suggested yesterday.

Again, for non-default classes, only HQF IOS implementations support it.

If yours is pre-HQF, you can rewrite your policy such that class-default basically only gets your HTTP traffic, and use FQ there.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card