Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS without dropping packets

ayokunles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

i have a small problem here. i have a remote site that has one link, the link is always congested and as such applications response is slow.

i have identified the traffic that makes the link congested. however my Qos Template involves dropping the packet. i have tried to change the dscp settings but it didn't help.

i just need help in creating an effective QoS template that won't drop packets but rather queue it and not affect other applications.

thanks

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ayokunles wrote:

Hello all,

i have a small problem here. i have a remote site that has one link, the link is always congested and as such applications response is slow.

i have identified the traffic that makes the link congested. however my Qos Template involves dropping the packet. i have tried to change the dscp settings but it didn't help.

i just need help in creating an effective QoS template that won't drop packets but rather queue it and not affect other applications.

thanks

To be honest, if the link is always congested QOS is probably not the answer. If you cannot upgrade then you have to accept that packets will very probably get dropped on a continuously congested link.

You can use shaping to limit the bandwidth for that particular traffic or you can use MQC and allocate that traffic only a certain amoutn of bandwidth but the buffers on any device are not unlimited and if there is always congestion then there is a good chance the buffers will run out and packets will have to be dropped.

QOS is useful for many things but it is primarily used to guarantee delivery for certain traffic within periods of congestion. The key word in that sentence is "periods" ie. it assumes that under normal conditions you do not have congestion.

With a continually congested connection you can either -

1) upgrade the bandwidth

or

2) accept that you will have to drop some packets for certain types of traffic to ensure other traffic gets delivered.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card