cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quality of Service for Network

usman ali dar
Level 1
Level 1

we have a network with several remote sites the multicast is being configured and there is only one RP currently in the whole network for all sites.

the quality of service was being configured too but the issue is when ever i tried to stream a multicast video, the remote sites get very bad quality its choppy pixlated and sometimes no video the WAN shaping policy say's AF41 if i am not wrong.

can anyone help me out in configuring the standard policy for audio video and multicast network streams for the network so that  i can configure it standard for the network 

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What kind of video, streaming or live (e.g. video conferencing)?

A QoS policy for either, should try to preclude drops.

A QoS policy of for the latter should also try to preclude jitter and delay.

DSCP, itself, is just a tag to quickly identify the service needs of the corresponding traffic.  I.e. there's nothing special about any DSCP marking, such as AF41; there's both RFC and Cisco (very similar) marking recommendations.

There are often recommendations/examples (Cisco offers many [which have also changed over time]) how to treat different traffic classes, but lean toward such more as examples.  Try to understand why a certain recommendation is being made how to treat certain traffic rather than taking it a cookbook recipe.

thank you for your response Joseph actually we have different types of data traffic from central point to all other remote campuses like imaging, replication of Data center data and voice and video conferencing.

imaging usually use multicast and it is configure properly, i am using a server which is multicast the live or recorded video over the network and my remote campus access it though VLC now i can see the pipe is free but they are having choppy video and low quality of video. especially when its live

i tried using Uni-cast and it works like a charm no issues at all even with so many streams 

what i am really trying to achive is to mark or specify the traffic on switches and routers or wan routers and then put a standard quality of service so that atleast that traffic can be given priority for sure.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Assuming your unicast and multicast video are using similar CODECs, and similar bandwidths, then both should behave about the same.  If, as you believe, the unicast traffic has a particular tag and the multicast doesn't, then your equipment could treat the unicast and multicast differently.  Generally, Cisco's equipment doesn't treat differently tagged traffic differently until configured to do so.  Many Cisco switches, when QoS is enabled on them, do treat some tags differently by default.  Cisco routers normally require a manual configuration beyond just enabling QoS.

So far, from what you've described, implies there may be some QoS configuration support for unicast but not multicast. 

apology for late reply.....

so can you help me creating one standard qos policy as required below

• QoS policy for local switches Layer 2 which can priorities Voice, Signaling and Video Traffic specially
  • QoS policy on Trunk Interface of local switches so that they can really mark and apply the policy on hop to hop bases
  • QoS policy on Layer 3 WAN connections between routers so that I can really priorities
    • Voice 1st
    • Video 2nd which includes all network video streaming......
    • Multicast traffic also prioritize with video

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Can I help you?  Perhaps, depends on how much help you need (and how much spare time I have).  (Others will help too.  Hint, the more focused the question, the better your chances of getting assistance.)

Post your logical policy, detailed information about your network, and what QOS you propose doing on your devices.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card