Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about BGP inbound filtering

CATYO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I have a question about filtering inbound traffic.

We are currenty peering with one ISP and receiving full routing table from them.

We found that at the particular time a lot of traffic comes into our network these days.

The source is Akamai.

Is there any way to not advertise our network to Akamai? I suppose we(customer side) don't have any way to realize this but ISP may have.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello

Akamai  = WCCP = web cache protocol

see the following from my shell

C:\Users\glarosa>ping www.repubblica.it

Esecuzione di Ping e7047.e12.akamaiedge.net [104.106.82.165] con 32 byte di dati:
Risposta da 104.106.82.165: byte=32 durata=30ms TTL=59
Risposta da 104.106.82.165: byte=32 durata=32ms TTL=59
Risposta da 104.106.82.165: byte=32 durata=31ms TTL=59
Risposta da 104.106.82.165: byte=32 durata=30ms TTL=59

Statistiche Ping per 104.106.82.165:
    Pacchetti: Trasmessi = 4, Ricevuti = 4,
    Persi = 0 (0% persi),
Tempo approssimativo percorsi andata/ritorno in millisecondi:
    Minimo = 30ms, Massimo =  32ms, Medio =  30ms

C:\Users\glarosa>

if you go to traceroute.org you will see a list of looking glasses

I have tested Akamai for TIM the first time in 1999 for Sparkle (the international part )

with WCCP version 2 akamai make agreements with a lot of providers so your issue is not related to BGP is simoky and effect of agreements

Hope to help

Giuseppe Larosa

Hello,

on a side note, do you actually NEED the full routing table ? If you have only a single connection to one ISP, receiving and sending the default route only might be sufficient. Check your routing table for the existence of a default route, if it is there, configure the below:

ip prefix-list DEFAULT_ONLY seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0

neighbor x.x.x.x prefix-list DEFAULT_ONLY in

Thanks for your advice. But actually, Full routing table is need : )

Hello,

>> Thanks for your advice. But actually, Full routing table is need : )

you started the thread by complaining about a lot of traffic from Akamai. I have explained that Akamai produces and installs web caches tiaht can be used as transparent web cache, the protocol that can be used on Cisco routers and multilayer switches i WCCPv2.

Then George explained how to reduce the size of full routing table.

So you might be so polite to re-read t the thread carefully as we are NOT payed by Cisco Systems. We do not provide complete solutions  in this section.

However, if the real question is " I need help to setup a multi -homing eBGP for an enterprise" you can get more help.

In any case WCCPv2 is provider side so it is an issue for you.

If you have any more questions add to this thead, someone will answer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe Larosa

@george Pawen excellent answer but your are a VIP, we couldn't expect less :) :) +5 for you at it deserves

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: