Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about power down

wshngai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a RVS4000 and a WRT54GL router at home... I am planning to power down my home completely for several hours, my question is will I have to re-setup everything or will it retain the settings within the router? 

Thanks in advance for your response!!

-WN

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm no expert on these two models but did you save your configuration?

I did save the settings, but the problem is that I won't be at that location for the power down and I don't want to fly there just for that.  My parents will just be unplugging and plug it back in, they have no clue how to set it up.  So I am wondering how long can they have the routers unplugged without having to re-setup everything or reload the setting files.

Thanks!

-WN

hi,

i also have a WRT54G at home and have been using it for a couple of years now. you could simply just power it on again and would work just fine. you may wana do a backup its config just in case something might go wrong. just go to Administration > Config Management > Backup. i can't say much for RVS400 though.

Thank you for your reply!!  I have asked another person and he said the same thing.  Now I am wondering for the RVS4000.

Thanks!

-WN

Take a picture of the setup before the power down.

WN

I do not have experience with this specific equipment. But with ths type of router I would expect it to maintain its stored config for at least several months of power down. If your outage is going to be measured in hours I would not expect any problem. But as others have mentioned it would be helpful to make sure that you have a copy of the config or setup stored somewhere other than on the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card