Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions on changing the bandwidth on a T1

danny.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are going to upgrade one of our remote site's 2811 router's WAN connetion from a fractioinal T1 to a full T1.  Since we have no TECH support at the remote site, I want to make sure all of my ducks are in a row for this upgrade.

Can I do a "bandwidth 1544" without doing a "no bandwidth 512" first under int s0/0/0 configuration mode?  I am afraid of losing connection to this router, as we don't have an out of band/modem connection to this device. 

Cisco 2811 router (revision 53.51) with 237568K/24576K bytes of memory
System image file is "flash:c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin"

2811_router#sh int s0/0/0
Serial0/0/0 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is GT96K with integrated T1 CSU/DSU

interface Serial0/0/0
bandwidth 512
no ip address
ip flow ingress
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
service-module t1 timeslots 1-8

interface Serial0/0/0.123 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
ip accounting output-packets
ip flow ingress
snmp trap link-status
frame-relay interface-dlci 764 IETF  

Thanks,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

service-module timeslots 1-8 = 8*64= 512k

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

Not direct to your question (sorry), but a helpful tip I picked up from Ivan Pepelnjak over at ipspace.net.

When working with a remote device such as this you can issue the "reload in [time]" command.  This instructs the router to reload after the specified amount of time elapses.  Give yourself enough time to enter all the commands needed.  This way, if you lose connection (and as long as you didn't save first), the router will reload after that time and you should be able to get back in.

Once you are able to complete your config and all is working well, be sure to issue the "reload cancel" command to stop the pending reload.

Sorry for the tangent but hope it's useful sometime.  -Ed

patrick.preuss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Shure you will lose Connection to the Router.

Issue the reload with enought time and perpare you changes in a Text file so you can copy them into The Running Config at once.

Hth

Patrick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

serge123
Level 1
Level 1

I think the bandwidth statement is a routing parameter only; it does not affect the physical interface.

This is the line that will affect the speed of the circuit" service-module t1 timeslots 1-8 "

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Serge Amos wrote:

I think the bandwidth statement is a routing parameter only; it does not affect the physical interface.

This is the line that will affect the speed of the circuit" service-module t1 timeslots 1-8 "

That's my understanding too.

Additionally with a "full" T-1, you might need to know whether it's channelized or not and configure accordingly.

Hi Joseph,

What are the commands to channelized the T1?

Thanks,

Dan Lee

service-module timeslots 1-8 = 8*64= 512k

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: