Replies

Read contents of ISR 4331 flash memory when box is dead

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have an older ISR 4331 that experienced the dreaded

clock component degradation

bug CSCvb44543, and now the box is dead and won't boot. It is a lab box so no real harm done, but we also discovered that no backup of the config was done.

That got me wondering if there is any way to read the contents of the flash memory on the board when the box won't boot? Like perhaps you can un-solder the flash chip from the board and solder it to some device that could read the contents, or maybe some other such method? I know probably not but I'm still curious enough to ask LOL. Thanks!

0xD2A6762E
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Leo Laohoo  thanks, in this case the Flash was never upgraded, and on the 4331 from what I've read there is only the on-board Flash that is soldered to the motherboard, so in my case I will just tell the team whose box that is that they will need to start over on a new box.

@balaji.bandi  thanks, I think in this case I will just need to start over on a new box. It was fun learning about the different Flash options on the ISR 4000 series though.

Thank you both for your help!

0xD2A6762E

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

never done so,  open the kit remove flash see if that can put in another box and work ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwfFQxd2zig

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi  that was a good suggestion and I learned a lot going down that rabbit hole! Unfortunately on this 4331, there is only the onboard 4gig flash card that is soldered to the board. It does not have any kind of upgraded Flash card that would go into the Flash card slot.

So unless anyone knows how to read the onboard Flash card soldered to the motherboard, I think I'm out of luck : )

0xD2A6762E

unfortunately, no option left if you do not have a backup, then start from fresh rather than wasting time on breaking things here I guess.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is possible but you need to have a lot of time and good will to take this case to that point LoL.

There´s a book called "The Art of Intrusion" that tells how hackers did this for Las Vegas gambling machine just to figure out about the logic behind the games and bit the Cassinos.

For Cisco device, we usually ask for RMA or throw it away.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That will depend if the box had the flash upgraded or not.  

If I am not mistaken, default memory is 8 Gb.  IF it was upgraded, the eUSB can be removed and transferred to another unit.

@Leo Laohoo  thanks, in this case the Flash was never upgraded, and on the 4331 from what I've read there is only the on-board Flash that is soldered to the motherboard, so in my case I will just tell the team whose box that is that they will need to start over on a new box.

@balaji.bandi  thanks, I think in this case I will just need to start over on a new box. It was fun learning about the different Flash options on the ISR 4000 series though.

Thank you both for your help!

0xD2A6762E
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card