Views
Helpful
Replies

Recomended prefix to advertise to ISPs in BGP Multihomed scenario

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi all,

I have ex: 60.20.48.0/20 (255.255.240.0) from ARIN, and in production we may use only 15-20 IP addresses(60.20.48.1 -.20). In this scenario, advertising 60.20.48.0/24 to both ISPs is fine (to achieve reachability to our servers incase of any ISP having sisues) or any other recomended method (longer prefix to another ISP)?. The examples I read recomending longer prefixes to one ISP and lesser prefix to 2nd on but in my case I do not have any traffic to other subnet.Both ISPs are of good capacity links.

Thanks in advance

MS

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

u2637ps
Level 1
Level 1

If you send a less specific route to one isp then you need to be aware that all traffic for your /24 will come down one link although traffic going back is likely to go out of either links depending the destinations.

View solution in original post

If you manipulate using AS-PREPEND or any other BGP atribute for that matter, outside world will not see a big difference since the route will be visible from both providers on the global table but it is just not the best.

So, I would say AS-PREPEND is a very good option. But keeping future expansion in mind, I would also advise you to advertise an aggregate route to atleast one provider.

hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

u2637ps
Level 1
Level 1

If you send a less specific route to one isp then you need to be aware that all traffic for your /24 will come down one link although traffic going back is likely to go out of either links depending the destinations.

Thank you for the reply. What is the recomended way when the not may IPs being used? Use only one linkadvertise AS prepend on another? Also, if I have /24 advertised to both vendor with no preference, -as BGP deciding the path what would be maximum time it takes for BGP to failover to other ISP incase one ISP has any issues?

Thank you

MS

If you manipulate using AS-PREPEND or any other BGP atribute for that matter, outside world will not see a big difference since the route will be visible from both providers on the global table but it is just not the best.

So, I would say AS-PREPEND is a very good option. But keeping future expansion in mind, I would also advise you to advertise an aggregate route to atleast one provider.

hope this helps.

Thanks Rama Mohan. AS-prepend may not work always correct. And as far as the growth... not anticipating use of more than 40 IPs in next few years.  So for now I will let the /24 goes to both providers and incase of any issues try to manipuate AS path prepend.

Thanks again

MS

hi sheik,

would you like to use failover mode of operation or loadbalancing b/w the ISP?? If you need failover mode you can go for as-path prepend option

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card