Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended replacement for 1841

unrealone1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are looking to put Cisco routers into some client sites.

Was looking at 1841's but they are end of life now I believe, can someone recommend an alternative / or it's replacement?

Also are there any with firewall built in?

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can check for 1941 or 1921/K9 router.

I don't think so thAt these router hv I build fw functionality .

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 1941 is a direct replacement for the 1841. You can purchase the Security license which in includes both the CBAC and zone based firewall.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10538/data_sheet_c78_556319.html

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As already noted by the other posters, the 1941 is the successor to the 1841.  However, new devices are faster, so you might be able to "downsize". For example, an 1841 is rated at 75 Kpps while a 890 is rated at 100 Kpps.  Conversely, many new WAN circuits provide much more bandwidth then we usually obtained via TDM.  If using such, you might need the faster successor or even a faster device.

In other words, you may want to re-examine your needs rather then just using a successor platform becuase it's the successor platform.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card