Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy scenario

nihit-tandon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have gone through so many documents of failover /redundancy scenario , but didnt got a convincing response. And trust me so many guys have posted these ques ??

One of my client is taking Dual Links from differnet service provider  terminating on Dual CPE ,These links MPLS links terminating on the PE routers of different service Provider.

In this scenario what is the best mechanism  to use  Either Both as Active==Active or one as ACtive and other as Back up..

Need your inputs.

Awaiting for your response.

3 Replies 3

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Nihit,

This totally depends on what has been agreed between your service providers. What is the routing Protocol both service providers agreed on ?

NOTE : Load balancing is not possible in BGP as BGP will only install single best path learnt from two different AS. But you can effectively use both the links. Example : You can talk to one ISP to set better metric for subnets A,B,C whereas another ISP to have set of better metric for subnets X,Y,Z.

Regards

Vivek

PE-CE---> BGP

Well, you can effectively use both the links ACTIVE-ACTIVE as this will effectively utilize both the links. Now assume you have 10 branch offices / Country HQ offices connected to the MPLS cloud. Then i would prefer to learn routes for 5 offices with a better metric via ISP_A & other 5 via ISP_B.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card