Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant WAN connection & Redundant Routers

telesymbol
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

we've two routers for internet and two internet links for redundancy, we're planning to configure HSRP between the routers from both LAN & WAN sides and it's straightforward if we had only one internet link, however since we've two internet links, please advise how can we manage both WAN links in HSRP.

Regards

13 Replies 13

can you draw the topology please ?

you mention WAN HSRP, do you use edge router that connec to internet ?

No, we don't have edge router. both internet links came with GPON and will terminated on the routers shown on the diagram. we put layer 2 switch to enable routers connect both internet links.

it easy but need work, 
I will try lab it today show you how you can config it.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For now here is some example guides and lab people already done and blog the steps to achieve this.

https://www.routerfreak.com/how-to-configure-hsrp-on-a-cisco-router/

https://www.networkstraining.com/cisco-router-hsrp-configuration/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

the issue here is we've two internet links

Concept is same each router going to each ISP, so the descision is to be made based on the  Lan segment IP or traffic. either in or out.

you need to build up the config, and start testing - i would advise from Lan to outside.

WAN VIP - is bit different compare to LAN, since you have 2 ISP here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

HSRP requires at least a /29 subnet...are you getting this from your ISP(s) on the WAN side ?

Screenshot (151).pngScreenshot (152).png~

the first part is divide the LAN into two parts, 
each part have HSRP group and have active/standby router 
this make traffic load balance between two edge router.

then in my lab I use static route default toward R1 in both R2 and R3 (edge router).

Dear MHM,

I really appreciate your extra effort.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

In my scenario R2 & R3 are going to be connected to Active-Standby Firewalls, which is expected to be a point-to-point IP connectivity and how do we divide the LAN into parts?

For WAN side connectivity, I don't see HSRP, are you suggesting configuring two default routes toward to both internet links?

Regards

""No, we don't have edge router. both internet links came with GPON and will terminated on the routers shown on the diagram. we put layer 2 switch to enable routers connect both internet links.""
your answer before, I see only one router, and you mention that there is also ASA HA ? can you draw  another topology ?

Please suggest what's recommended for such scenarios and attached is revised diagram.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card