Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove AS from outbound best path selection

blacksnow94
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

We have an ASR 9001 that I'm wanting to better balance our outbound traffic for.

Our setup is as follows

Router -> Tier 1 ISP X

Router -> BGP peer with another public ASN -> Tier 1 ISP Y

It was easy to balance the incoming traffic, I simply prepended our ASN once to ISP X, however I'm having a difficult time balancing outbound traffic.

Ideally what I'd like to do is simply strip out the ASN that's in the middle of going to ISP Y so that BGP bestpath is more accurate. However I have not found a way to do this, as it's a public ASN.

Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

16 Replies 16

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the assistance. Would this failover to the other ISP if said ISP it's set as the next-hop to failed? It doesnt seem like it to me, but I could be wrong.

Hello

@blacksnow94 wrote:

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the assistance. Would this failover to the other ISP if said ISP it's set as the next-hop to failed? It doesnt seem like it to me, but I could be wrong.

Hello

A rudimentary resilience for pbr would be to specify a second next hop in the same route

map or you could apply some ip verification on the tracking which is a little more configuration but a lot more deterministic 

ip sla 10

icmp-echo <next-hop>

ip sla schedule 10 start-time now life forever

track 10 rtr 10 reachability

route-map xx

set ip next-hop verify-availability <next-hop>

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card