Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
----------------------------------------------------------
 1       Member 0015.c656.f080     15     0       Ready              
 2       Member 0015.6231.0280     1      0       Ready              
*3       Master 0012.80ae.3880     1      0       Ready              
 4       Member 0025.8310.4e80     1      0       Ready              
 5       Member 0025.8310.7c80     1      0       Ready              
 6       Member 0000.0000.0000     0      0       Provisioned

My challenge is that the two switches I’m replacing is in the middle of the stack, it’s switch 2 and 3 – and switch 3 is the master. My plan is as follows;

1. Reboot the stack, allowing switch 1 to take over as Master

2. Power off switch 2 and 3, remove them from the configuration (“no switch stack-member-number provision type”). I now get a inconsistense in the stack chain, what will happen with the stack?

3. The new switches that I’m connecting have iOS 15.0.2-SE6(ED). This iOS is compatible w the remaining switches in the stack. I do the upgrade after I connect the two new switches?

4. On the two new switches I write “switch 2(3) provision ws3750x-24p-s” … before connecting them to the stack. Then upgrade the iOS.

5. After a reboot the new swiches should join the stack successfully, retaining the stack-member-number etc

Is this the way to do it?

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Do you current have dual ring?

If so, you can get a stack election as soon as you power down switch #3.  I.e. you don't need to reload whole stack.

Once master is switch #1, you replace switch #3.  (Add replacement with power off, connect stack cables, then power on.)

Once switch #3 is replace, you can power down switch #2 and replace it.

To insure replacement switch join stack correctly, they should already have same IOS version installed as other switches.

In the above I assume you've replacements' configurations are "blank".  You only need to change provisioning, on running stack, if replacement switches differ from switches being replaced.  If they differ, you can configure the replacements' ports when existing switch powered off, and before replacement powered on, or after replacement joins stack.  (NB: also if switch types differ, if you remove provisioning from running stack, a "blank" replacement should join stack as the "missing" stack number unit.)

Thanks for Your reply. The replacement switches have the New iOS, 15.0.2-SE6(ED), already installed. However the existing stack has iOS 12.2(50)SE3. I'm thinking that the best way to upgrade the iOS is to do it after I replace switch 2 and 3 as you described. After Upgrade I type in the provision-commands and the switches should join the stack. Correct?

I will have to configure the replacement ports as the New switches are Gigabit-ports, while the old ones only supported FastEthernet.

I'm not sure if I have a dual ring, I Guess the only way to find out is to Power Down switch #3 :-)

Here is additional info;

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              
     1 28    WS-C3750G-24TS     12.2(50)SE3           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     2 26    WS-C3750-24TS      12.2(50)SE3           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
*    3 26    WS-C3750-24TS      12.2(50)SE3           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     4 28    WS-C3750G-24PS     12.2(50)SE3           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     5 28    WS-C3750G-24PS     12.2(50)SE3           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M   

As u can see switch #6 does not show up all though it's Connected, status is provisioned. It has been added to the configuration;

switch 1 provision ws-c3750g-24ts
switch 2 provision ws-c3750-24ts
switch 3 provision ws-c3750-24ts
switch 4 provision ws-c3750g-24ps
switch 5 provision ws-c3750g-24ps
switch 6 provision ws-c3750g-24ps

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You want to very much avoid adding new stack members with a different IOS version.

Preprovisioning purpose is to configure for switch you'll be adding to the stack before they are added (actually, it's really more for just dropping in an identical replacement for a failed switch member while avoiding the need to make configuration changes).  You can configure newly added switch members after they join the stack.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card