Level 1

Rep Topology

A=======================G

pe                      se

|                       F

|                       |

B-------C----%-D--------E

Hello,

given is the above topology (pe is the Primary Edge Port) % is the preferred alternate port for ALL Vlans. ==== is a common link.

My Question: For Load-Balancing purposes, is it possible that the traffic in one Vlan will flow between Switch A-B-C-D-E?

In my understanding, it`s not possible to set two different alternate ports!? (one for that particular vlan and the second for the rest).

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello _networker_

I agree REP can be seen as single instance so it cannot build different topologies for different sets of vlans at least the standards based REP should behave this way.

Cisco might have introduced proprietary extensions to deal with multiple topologies / Vlan load balancing

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400e/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swrep.html#wp1065725

It speaks of manually triggered Vlan load balancing using the preeempt option on edge ports.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Yes, the preempt option is used to enable changes regarding load balancing, but unfortunately this didn't answer my original question...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card