cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset a Router -- Start Over?

ArchiTech89
Level 1
Level 1

How do I reset a Cisco 876 ISR? I seem to remember from class it was easier than the option to change a register value that I've found through research. Can I just delete the startup.cfg and it will then try to run me through the wizard the next time I boot?

I've got a problem where the Dialer interface is hooked to a FastEthernet interface as it's WAN link. This was because I misconfigured with the pppoe-client command. But now I don't know how to back out of the problem I made for myself. Just negating the commands on the Fa3 interface doesn't seem to work. I need to hook the dialer it to the ATM interface instead.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the dumb question -- I'm learning on the fly with the Dialer & ADSL...

Regards,

jeremyNLSO
CCNA, MCITP
Berlin, Germany       

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How do I reset a Cisco 876 ISR?

Check the back of the unit.  There should be a "Reset" button.

1.  Power down the router;

2.  Hold down the "Reset" button;

3.  Power up the router

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You looking for 'write erase'?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I believe that write erase followed by reload is indeed what the original poster is looking for.

Be aware that it is likely that when you issue the reload command there may be a prompt that indicates that the configuration has been changed and asks if you want to save it. Resist the instinctive reaction to say yes and say no and let the router go ahead and reload. It will come up with an enpty config file.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How do I reset a Cisco 876 ISR?

Check the back of the unit.  There should be a "Reset" button.

1.  Power down the router;

2.  Hold down the "Reset" button;

3.  Power up the router

My response was based on the generic IOS how to reset a router. I suspect that my colleague Leo has done better research than I, or has a better memory for the lower end router models. I suspect that you will do better following his advice than mine.

Thanks Leo.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the kind works, Rick. 

My response was based on the generic IOS how to reset a router.

If the "Reset" button doesn't work for you, then Rick's method will work all the time. 

I'm just being "lazy" and the-monkey-throws-the-switch method for me. 

Thanks to all.

Leo, I did what you said and it worked fine. In fact, I had connected using CCP before I reset it, and it for some reason it automatically kept the installation after the reset (I didn't know that CCP built itself onto part of the router memory). In any event, afterwards I was able to start over with the ATM and Dialer inteface configuration and then was able to link them properly so that I can now connect to my service provider.

I will make note of these other methods to reset. I am working toward a CCNA Security exam right now (hence the use of CCP), and because I will be tackling the CCNP exam suite next, they'll probably come in handy (I have several 2600 series routers in my lab -- I don't believe they have reset buttons )....

Regards,

jeremyNLSO
CCNA, MCITP
Berlin, Germany

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany

they'll probably come in handy (I have several 2600 series routers in my lab -- I don't believe they have reset buttons

And I don't believe CCNA exam will accept "Press the Reset button" as an answer either. 

Glad to see it working.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

here's another alternative, try using the configure replace nvram:startup-config command.

the reset button sometimes a bit troublesome 'coz you need to find for a small sharp object (i.e. tip of a pen/pencil or a hairpin).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card