Views
Helpful
Replies

Rommon upgrade on 4506 Sup 7-E

Johan Kardell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I need to do a rommon upgrade on a Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 7-E, to run "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.06.02.E.152-2.E2.bin" is the "only" thing I need to do on the Sup:

1;upload the file, tftp the rommon file (cat4500-e-ios-promupgrade-150-1r-SG11) 
2;reload?

with the command:
upgrade rom-monitor file bootflash:cat4500-e-ios-promupgrade-150-1r-SG11

Sorry, I have searched the internet but just want to be sure.

Thanks a lot for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can anyone help to confirm that what I need is to tftp the file to bootflash reload, and the run the new flash file (boot system flash bootflash..." reload again).

I've upgraded my Sup7 ROMmon several times already.  All I did was follow either the console method or the telnet method.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  

In both cases, the procedure is well written and accurate.  The only white-knuckle moment is waiting for the supervisor card to finish with the upgrade and boot up, which can take about 10 minutes all-in-all.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
upgrade rom-monitor file bootflash:C2800NM_RM2.srec.124-13r.T11

Is this a joke????

I can guarantee you won't be able to run this command.  Why?  The bootstrap file is for a Cisco 2801 ROUTER.

Did you try reading the Release Notes?  The Release Notes gives you THREE (3) options on how to upgrade the Sup7 ROMmon.  

Ok, dammit, sorry, I had the command typed in another text file with the correct Rom file and accidentally pasted the command I copied from a cisco site with the 2800 router file, fixed.

Ok, so when upgrading on a 4506 you only need to put the file in the bootflash and reload, that's it?
the upgrade rom-monitor is only on certain router models?

Is the any special concerns regarding the rommon file contra the flash file that's need to be taken?

the upgrade rom-monitor is only on certain router models?

This command is only for routers.  

Ok, so when upgrading on a 4506 you only need to put the file in the bootflash and reload, that's it?

I have no idea how to upgrade Sup6 and earlier.  Sup7 & Sup8 has three methods of upgrading the IOS:  One using telnet and two using remote connection.  

SO I have no idea which method you're talking about because it's not as "straightforward" as it seems.  The bootstrap file needs to be run FIRST before the IOS is run.  

upgrade rom-monitor file bootflash:cat4500-e-ios-promupgrade-150-1r-SG11

This command won't work.  

Ok, thanks for your help Leo!

Can anyone help to confirm that what I need is to tftp the file to bootflash reload, and the run the new flash file (boot system flash bootflash..." reload again).

Is the flash file and the rommon file I specified compatible/any special concerns regarding the rommon file contra the flash file that's need to be taken??

I've upgraded my Sup7 ROMmon several times already.  All I did was follow either the console method or the telnet method.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  

In both cases, the procedure is well written and accurate.  The only white-knuckle moment is waiting for the supervisor card to finish with the upgrade and boot up, which can take about 10 minutes all-in-all.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco