Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Failover

I am planning a DAUL ISP VPN failover implementation on a client site and I am having difficulty understanding how to make it happen. My concerns are based on the fact that VPN Peers are defined during IPSEC L-2-L VPN config. How do I configure the router to know to initial a VPN session with the Remote site when Primary link fails?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies 5

Hello.

The easier would be to configure 2 VPN/IPSec tunnels - one over primary link and another over secondary.

So both will be up (and available for testing/monitoring), but usually router would prefer primary and secondary as a backup.

Thanks Vasilii for your input. If I have an IPSEC tunnel to the primary link and secondary link, what if the Primary link of Site A fails and the Secondary link on Site B fails at the same time, it will mean that the VPN link on both sides will be down irrespective of the having a Primary and Backup ISP link.

What do you think 

Hello.

The problem is either solved with BGP (having PI prefix) or with full-mesh of tunnels.

How about using a GRE Tunnel that can point to Two ISPs, Primary and Secondary at the same time such that if the primary link fails, the secondary link kicks in. It might only mean that i will need to need to setup two GRE tunnels pointing to the Two ISPs. I am thinking that this might work, what do you think?

Thanks alot for your response 

Yes, exactly.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card