cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

route return traffic based on recieving interface

schaef350
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAN router that receives icmp pings it needs to respond to from a monitoring system.  The router needs to send the reply back the same path / interface it was received by, however, I have not found a guaranteed way to do this.  Typically the packet takes the routers best route for the return path vs the path the icmp came in on.  Is there a way to make this happen?

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts
2 Replies 2

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Interested to know if this can be done. 

I dont think this can be done. Router will take the best path. 

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Schaef350,

you can try to use PBR for locally generated packets to override destination based routing

see

ip local policy route-map

Packets that are generated by the router are not normally policy routed. However, you can use this command to policy route such packets. You might enable local policy routing if you want packets originated at the router to take a route other than the obvious shortest path.

see

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/iproute_pi/command/reference/iri_book/iri_pi1.html

This may be an approximate solution you need to know on what interface you have received the ICMP request from the management server.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card