Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 2811 access rommon

Mbounda
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I just bought a used Router 2811 which is protected by an unknown password.

I would like to reset the password in order to be able of accessing the prvildge mode and config mode.

I first tried to remove the flashcompact when booting in other to access the rommon mode and go on the set up process. It didn't work. I got the error message : Readonly ROMMON initialized, PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONNALITY IS DISABLED. And when I reinserted the Flashcompact, it downloaded the IOS and the startup config.

I tried an another method of using the speed of 1200 bit/sec instead of 9600 as suggested by someone in another forum without success.

Does someone can give me a hint about what I can also do in order to access the ROMMON ?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

have a look at the document linked below, it outlines two methods:

https://www.vology.com/cisco-2800-password-recovery-2801-2811-2821-2851/

Dear Georg, thank you for your reply.

But I already saw and tried those two methods before without any success.

The first method, I can't apply it because I don't have access to the Router executive mode (Password prompted) and I can't also access to the ROMMON with only the BREAK key because as posted the password recovery functionality is disabled.

With the second mode, when I removed the Flashcompact drive, the Router displays the same error message : Password recovery functionality is disable instead of getting into ROMMON when I enter the BREAK key.

So, unfortunately, your post doesn't help me to find out solution.

password recovery disabled does not mean the router is bricked when you do not know the password.
it only means you cannot recover the current configuration without the password.
when following the password recover procedure you get the option to erase the current configuration and can start with an empty config

its about timing, look at this post: Press the break-key winthin 5sec after decompress the image. System will prompt you to confirm and after that it will delete the start-up config and back to factory default.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you boot the router without the CF, did you see the ROMMON prompt or not?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card