Views
Helpful
Replies

Router conditional command

Takatiti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

is it possible to tell a router not to run a certain command, if 443 port is down?

Let us say users have access permit right on a address with some data. But I would like to a kind of skip the permission any time the 443 port is down. And when the port is up the permission works again.

I hope the idiea is clear. Thanks for Help.

Regards

Taka

7 Replies 7

sounds like automation requirement. can you give us sample of practical scenario for this use case?

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Takatiti
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

thanks for the fast Reply:-)

I have a case that the router using a given static route can send trafiic to a server requesting a data. This is when every thing runs allright. Now if a port nummber 443 is down, we want to tell the Router not to use the static route till 443 is up and running again.

It sounds really as if we need a python script with if condition like. Is some thing like this possible to do in a router without external script? If yes can you help, where to find examples maybe?

Thanks

I appriciate your Assist very much

Cheers

Taka

Hello,

do the clients need to have connectivity with the host on 443, or the router ? If it is the clients, you could just use a simple batch script that telnets to the host/port, and if the port is not reachable, install a null route on the client...

Hello,

certainly possible. The first thing you would need is for the router to check if port 443 is open. That said, 443 is https, so I am not sure under what conditions the port would be 'down'. Either way, the command 'show tcp brief' would show if the status of port 443 is ESTAB, if not, you could consider that to be down/unreachable. Based on that status, you could enable/disable an access list, all this by using EEM.

You are right but which command we use to check port that is issue here ??

Takatiti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a static route in the Router to send packets to a server, which should only be ON if the 443 port is UP. Which is the daily healthy case. Now sometimes, we have a case this port is for some reason down but the Router still keeps flooding the server with Requestes and the server hangs up on trying to respond but it can`t do it. That is a big problem, I think i should find a way to tell the Router not to use the static route if I let it know that the port is down. I also thought about Cisco EEM because I read about it. However I am not very sure if this can solve my problem, so i am still searching and hoping that some one must have a situation like this before and may gives me a hint how to solve it.

Regards

Taka

port up or down!!

That I could not get, the port is l4 and it not up or down,

It either open or close, and that depend usually on if there is FW or not.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card