cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router DNS

Richard Tapp
Level 1
Level 1

To be clear I am taling about using a router as a DNS server for local PCs.

Our routers are set to provide DNS to the local PCs on site.

They split this in 2 ways.

1st Internal domains, these are sent to our internal DNS servers

2nd Anything else, bascially all internet traffic. Ths is sent to public DNS servers to resolve.

We have an issue with one web site and becuase of this any site that needs that website has to be set to only use our internal DNS servers. This is becuase it resolves to a UK based Azure IP and the providor of the service has not mapped out servic to other IPs around the world.

So if we lose DMVPN back to our internal servers, we lose this website.

I have found we can use a host file entry on the PCs for this webiste, but management does not like to use host file entries.

So I am trying to see if you can add a host entry on the router, which the router DNS will look to first before looking up externally.

I have tried this but it does not work

ip host www.url_of_web_site .com xx.xx.xx.xx

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For that to work you need to run ip dns server on the router and sourcing your Internal DNS Server to resolve for you.

when your External Link fails , still Router can resolve the DNS if that is inside the network. (by adding your entry you thinking)

configure terminal
ip dns server
ip domain-lookup
ip name-server x.x.x.x (external DNS Server from your company)
ip host www.bb.com 192.168.10.10 ( 192.168.10.10 expect to be local Server)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

ip domain-lookup is check that local DNS-IP entry if the domain is same as domain name in router if not the router will forward request to external DNS 
here the Web URL use same domain of router ?

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card