cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router doesn't care about VLANs

Cadet0001
Level 1
Level 1

In cisco packet tracer I have this network of 3 VLANs and a router as a DHCP serve.

when I ping into a different VLAN it goes through which is no good, there would be no reason to create VLANs.

NOTE: the packet goes to the router then get routed to the designated VLAN, unlike in the case of pinging in the same VLAN it goes through the MasterSwitch and it broadcasts to all other switchs.

Please help.

I couldn't upload the .pkt the extension is not supported.

Whole network.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

For that you need

Access List

Take a look on the file I attached, Hosts can ping each other on the same vlan and Server, but can not ping other hosts in different vlans.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

I dont understand your Q' can you more elaborate?

I think when I upload the lab it will be clear otherwise I will elaborate. Thank you.

Hi

. You need to zip the file in order to attach. Zip it, attaxh it and let me take a look.

Thank you, I will. Just give some time to finish and go home.

Mathias Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds to me like you don't want a device in vlan1 to be able to ping a device in another vlan (say vlan2).
To do this you would need to create

access-lists

that block inter vlan traffic and assign to the interfaces where the routing is taking part.
So either the router acting as dhcp server or in the "master" switch.

That is exactly what I want, but I don't think I can assign a vlan to an interface because I forgot to mention I have three floors in the building. here is an updated view of the lab. And please look into the file I will now upload of the lab.

Capture.2.PNG

Cadet0001
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the Lab ziped please look into it. thank you.

Hello @Cadet0001 

I´d say you went really well. the only mistake I have found was wrong subnet maslk on  HTTP SERVER and PC4(4). they were using 255.0.0.0 while they should be 255.255.255.0 just  like the router interface.

Another problem is that the Router "DHcP Server" was not advertising the networks upward. I add the

distribute connected

to OSPF process and the network was send to all routers.

I tested and it is all ping now.

Thank you, that would have taken time from me to figure out.

Yet still my problem is that VLANs can communicate with each other. A pc on VLAN 10 should be able to ping all pcs on VLAN 10 + the outside network, but it shouldn't be able to ping a pc on VLAN 20 or VLAN 30.

Thank you for your time.

Hello,

For that you need

Access List

Take a look on the file I attached, Hosts can ping each other on the same vlan and Server, but can not ping other hosts in different vlans.

Thank you so much, you are awesome. 

With that done I can finally rest and submit my project.

Thank you.

Good to know. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card