Views
Helpful
Replies

C1111 - Port-channel

SZ1111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I just got a hold of a new C1111 router, and I was just wondering is there a particular reason that you can only put routed interfaces (Gi0/0/0 and Gi0/0/1) as members of port-channel or am I doing something wrong here ??? If that's the only option, I guess the idea behind this is just to create redundancy or increase bandwidth on an UPLINK. I would like to create port-channel towards my LAN network, but there is no option to put channel-group command on switched interfaces (Gi0/1/0 - Gi0/1/3).

Thanks you for your response

15 Replies 15

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @SZ1111 ,

I think it is a device limitation caused mainly by its performance it can not support to have multiple gigabit of traffic going through it.

It is an edge device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Guiseppe

I think that you might be right and that might indeed be the reason, however that said, Port-channels are used for other things than just increasing traffic flow.

I think its a sad thing that Cisco does not recognize the value of this feature for the edge routers.

The Cisco 1111-4p has 2 Routing ports and a 4 port switch.

That means I can get several different options for redundancies on the external interfaces.

I would love to have the possibility to connect a Port-channel to a switch/switch stack/VPC/2nd router to get link redundancy on the inside too. (Yes spanning tree is one option, but not the one i prefer!)

The most irritating part is that the command is half there, you can do the port-channel command but you can not add the number.

The ISR4221 has the identical problem when you add a 4 port switch module to it.

If anyone at Cisco is seeing this please consider adding this properly to the switch modules, it would help a lot with fault tolerance designs.

Best Regards

Torbjorn

I have solved this limitation by moving UPLINKS to switched ports, and used routed ports (where i can create Port-channel) towards the LAN network where I have stacked switches.

I have the Same issue,

Could you please share the configuration of the Etherchannel with the routed-ports.

Thanks

could you inform me how did you configure vpc on this router ? i tried to configure it with the same way as nexus switch to add vpc 1 under interface port-channel 1.20 

Sorry for a late reply, this is how I did it:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
description Po10
no ip address
negotiation auto
channel-group 10 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
 description Po10
 no ip address
 negotiation auto
!
interface Port-channel10
 description LAN
 no ip address
 no negotiation auto
 service instance 2 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 2
  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
  bridge-domain 2
 !
 service instance 7 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 7
  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
  bridge-domain 7
!
interface BDI2
 description SERVICE-1
 ip address x.y.z.q
!
interface BDI7
 description SERVICE-2
 ip address x.y.z.q
!

Hello, wouldn't it be easier just use sub-interfaces on router-on-a-stick?

interface Port-channel10
  no ip address
!
interface Port-channel10.10
  encapsulation dot1Q 10
  ip address x.x.x.x
!
interface Port-channel10.20
  encapsulation dot1Q 20
  ip address y.y.y.y

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
  no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
  no ip address

chiming in and completely agree on this point, this is a disappointing limitation given the router's market position - port-channel has far more\greater utility than simply aggregating bandwidth, some would argue its other benefits are what many deployments would be looking for.

EdgarMurray8920
Level 1
Level 1

I own one of the C1111-4P routers. When the router was released, there was no support for Etherchannel. I think with one of the updates they added the feature but I have not tested it. I would not be surprised if is very limited. 

Shabaz Khan
Level 1
Level 1

(Gi0/1/0 - Gi0/1/3) are switchports, you cannot do port channel on C1111 router

This needs to be analyzed again. At the time of the writing and the image that I had, there were no options for EtherChannel for those interfaces. But in the 17.0 XE version there are options for that on those interfaces. I have not tested that, but I will and write back. 

I have a router in my office with latest recommended version 17.6.3a and it still does not support channel-group on switch interfaces (Gi0/1/0-Gi0/1/3).

You are correct. But in IOS 16 I did see those options. 

Port channel is possible on gi 0/0/0 and gi 0/0/1 2 routed ports. If One port goes to ISP, then we cannot do port channel.

(Gi0/1/0 - Gi0/1/3) are switchports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card